Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hearing pulse in ears all the time

Posted by catherinet (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 2, 08 at 13:49

Anyone else have this? It started a few years ago, just mildly, but now its loud. I'm also having some sinus pressure. Is it just my age (58)? Is it a sinus problem?
I've cut way back on my salt intake, and have been taking mucinex, drinking lots of water, and irrigating my nose (with homemade saline mix). But nothing helps.
Any suggestions? Thanks.
P.S. I had a big dizziness work-up last fall, but everything was normal, and it went away. My BP is normal.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hearing pulse in ears all the time

Do you tend to get a wax build up in your ears? A few years ago I had the same thing, and I went to the doctor in case my blood pressure was high. It wasn't, and she also listened to my heart, and carotid arteries, which sounded normal. Then she checked my ears and said my right ear was pretty waxy. That's the ear I could hear my pulse in, so she irrigated it, and a lump of wax came out. That solved the problem.

o

I have the same symptoms......and I found this explanation.
My doc says I have a nasal polyp that is causing the problem with the eustachian tube.
Hope this info helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Patulous eustachian tube

o

Oh darn Carol.......I was just at the ENTs office yesterday and was going to ask him about patulous eustachian tube and I forgot!
He had me have allergy testing, which was negative.
He said that as we age, some of us can transmit the pulse from our carotid arteries through thinning bone more.....so maybe that's it.
Thanks for your link.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here