Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question on my elderly friend

Posted by enjoyingspring (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 5, 08 at 12:17

I have an elderly friend that is 89 years old and lives in a nursing home.

The other day, my friend went to bed at 8pm, the next morning her caregivers went in to wake her and she wouldn't wake up, they shook her, yelled at her etc. They took her to hospital and she still would not wake up for the doctors. Then around 11 am she opened her eyes and woke up. They don't know what happened to her.

She seems to be fine now.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question on my elderly friend

And your question is...?

o

My question is which I thought was obvious, Why did it take so long for her to wake up?? If someone shook me and yelled at me, I would certainly wake up immediately.

o

This probably is not going to answer your question, but...

I'm not that old, but I've always been hard to wake. And it seems the older I get, the harder I am to wake. I've always 'heard' that older people need less sleep, and I beg to differ! lol!

Now the serious stuff. What kinds of meds (DRUGS!) is your friend being given? And what doses?!! You need to find out and 'research side effects' any drugs your friend is being administered...that could be key to why not waking up.

Another thing...I saw a Documentary - TWICE! - on TV (yes, I know, 't.v.') about a lady and (son?) who went vacation to Australia (I think AU...it was a couple years ago I watched it).
So the Mother had an odd thing about 'seeming to be DEAD'! She actually had no pulse, heartrate that showed up on any monitors. So it happened while vacationing in AU - again, and son tried to explain to EVERYONE that this happens - "she's not dead!".
Of course, they always look at him like he's in denial.

Come to find out, she DID awake...AGAIN...in the morgue! This was like the third or fourth or??? time this has happened to her! (Spookey, huh?)
Some kind of odd thing with her, but she'd be dead & several days later alive again.

OK, I'd take a serious and close look at any/all drugs, strengths of each, times administered, etc.

Maybe your friend just doesn't want to wake up until "I'm good & ready"! Talk to your friend...maybe that's what's going on?
(I know, some days I wake up & feel like the whole day is 'bust', so I just want to go back to sleep...)?

Not a good healthy thing for someone like me - that's why I usually DO get up. But someone older & in nursing home - who knows?

o

She may have had some kind of stroke. Or a big temporary drop in blood pressure. Or she simply could have been in a deep sleep and dreaming. The efforts to wake her seemed to be part of the dream, so she didn't respond to them.

o

Thanks for your responses, the only drug she is on is Cumidin (sp) a blood thinner.

I too thought he may have had a stroke but they did a CT scan and it came back negative.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here