Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Strange illness

Posted by berk (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 12, 13 at 11:10

My daughter, who is 43 has had a terrible earache in the right ear plus her face is also numb on that side. She has had x-rays, CT Scans, blood work and so many other things I can't remember them all. She has seen a neurologist, 2 of them, been to Mayo Clinic, pain management and right now on 4 different medicines to try and stop the pain.
Mayo won't do surgery because it could cause her face to droop like a stroke would cause and afraid burning the nerve they think is causing this may not be the right one!
She can't sleep for the pain, no pain medicine they have tried helps her, this has been going on for about 8 months now..she is so miserable. Any one ever had this pain or heard of it?
TY

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Strange illness

Maybe this is the results of bells palsy. My neighbor had it but the pain was in his face somewhere, not his ear. They had to cut the nerve that caused the problem. He had to be careful because his face was numb in that area, but the pain went away.

o

Have they checked for these two?
Acoustic Neuroma
Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Is she, by any chance, a scuba diver. If so,she should tell the drs.

o

Yes, she has been checked for the two and no she isn't a diver. Myself, I think the Bells Palsy, from what I have read could be it. The doctors at Mayo don't want to do surgery to cut a nerve because they are afraid it may be the wrong nerve and her face may be paralized on that side. Right now she is on 4 medicines and it has leveled it out where the pain is tolerable. I have saved info on Bells Palsy just incase. TY

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here