Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Steroids and allergies

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 24, 09 at 7:42

I was diagnosed with seasonal allergies (never had them before). I was given 6 days of methylprednisolone (a steroid) to reduce the inflammation and relieve my cough. I think I'd rather have the allergies.

I haven't been able to sleep the last few days, and I get palpitations that seem to reach down to my shoes!

Has anyone come across a situation like this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Steroids and allergies

Not a a normal reaction. Call your doctor and explain what is happening. Be sure and follow directions as suddenly stopping steroids is not recommended. Is this a six day regimen starting with a large dose and reducing daily til all pills are gone? That's what they usually prescribe for allergies.

It could be that the initial high dose caused the reaction you had and will improve from here as the dose gets smaller each day, but, let your doctor decide what you should do.

o
RE: Steroids and allergies

cheerful I seem to have a similar reaction to OTC allergy meds, they make me feel so wired up and my heart feels like it's beating too fast. My doctor prescribed a steroid spray to be used daily for a while but I decided against it. Ive been using a herbal allergy pill as needed and that's all I take now, no side effects or uncomfortable weird feelings from it. I started using it because I also felt like the meds were worse than the allergies!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here