Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My kneecaps are killing me

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 7, 07 at 6:58

It started out where my left kneecap hurt when I bent my knee, or walked down a flight of stairs. Today for some reason both kneecaps hurt. I'm in menopause, and have a family history of arthritis. I have a doctor's appointment in a couple of weeks, so I'll find out for sure, but has anyone else gone through this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My kneecaps are killing me

I do. I have had the problem for several years now but mine isn't from arthritis. I had an X ray and it showed no problems with the bone, it is just the ligaments and tendons.

I am actually a little better now. I have a better grasp of which exercises are hard on my kneecaps and which help. I am actually able to do squats now with a ball behind my back. I also bought a house without stairs. I just couldn't get better while I was navigating stairs every day. The most important lesson I learned was to never ever let my knees be further forward than my toes AND not to be in a hurry and push on in my exercise regimen before I was ready.

o

Why don't you call your doctor and see if you can get in sooner?

o

It's tax season and I can't get a day off until after April 17. He wasn't in that week, so I had to wait until the following week.

o

I had x-rays taken yesterday of both knees. I'll know by next week what they show. My doctor said I should take glucosamine/condroitin. Anyone had any luck with that?

o

A lot of people have had a great deal of success with glucosamine. It is certainly worth a try. It will take about four to six weeks before you can tell if it is doing any good, so don't give up and stop taking it too soon.

It helps the body repair and replace cartiledge in the big joints like the knees. This takes a while. Don't give up too soon.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here