Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can a virus manifest itself as acne?

Posted by Jenn (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 05 at 23:41

Last week my husband had a large and very painful pimple inside his nose. It lasted for more than a week. Now I have one on my cheek next to my nose. It's worse than anything I had as a teenager (I had mild acne back then) -- it's red, painful, and ugly.

I'm wondering if it's possible for a virus to manifest itself in ways other than sniffles etc -- such as acne, painful muscles in an isolated area, etc. I've always heard it said that a virus can "settle in a muscle" or some other area. Does anyone know if this can be true? I'm skeptical of that but we don't know everything there is to know about the human body so anything is possible.

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can a virus manifest itself as acne?

It's more likely that it's a bacteria causing it. sounds more like a boil than acne. If it doesn't clear up soon or if you get more of them, it might be a good idea to see your doctor or a dermatologist to get a prescription strength antibiotic cream. Don't mash it as you will just make the bacteria spread to other places.

o

I agree with PeaBee. A pimple in or near the nose is not to be taken lightly. Infections can easily work their way up from the nose to the brain - not a pretty thought. If it should open I would at the very least put neosporin on it.

o

no- the only virus I know of to cause any kind of eruption is herpes, and they're crusty, not boil-like...

in your husband's case, it could have been an impacted or ingrown hair that got infected...and in your case, fussing over your husband, and scratching your nose could have done it... if they are even related incidents.

since yours is in a place where you can see it, a hot compress followed up by a dot of neosporin (or lavendar oil, if you're organic) is your best bet.

I might add that, as a chronic sinus 'ick' sufferer, the chances of an infection spreading past your sinuses is dreadfully rare.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here