SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenghost

Can We Talk About Blood Pressure?

GardenGhost
20 years ago

My doc wants to put me on bp meds. I'm 40, overweight, and my bp is currently 150/96. I've had some health problems for years that were never noticed by other physicians I've seen, which spurred me to find a new physician. I saw Dr. Harris yesterday and he has discovered a couple of minor medical emergencies to be taken care of. I'll be having surgery on Monday. Nothing really major, but some problems that can't be allowed to continue. They have escalated due to years of neglectful doctors. While they're typically minor, they just grew out of control, prompting this sudden surgery.

Anway, Dr. Harris wants to put me on bp meds once the surgery is complete and I'm back on my feet. I dont' want to do meds. I think the surgeries themselves, which will alleviate a lot of the pain, will reduce my stress level, and in turn, reduce my bp.

I also joined a gym in Nov. and have been working diligently on losing weight until the last month when I've been in excruciating pain and just totally exhausted. I've lost 25 lbs (deliberately) in the last year. I intend to continue with the gym after I recover from surgery.

I am looking for options to combatting high bp without meds. I've taken meds before and two of them made my heart rate way too low, so I slept all the time. The other one was great, but expensive and I'm on a budget. I don't want to experiment with more drugs. I want something natural.

I eat several bananas daily since I've heard potassium helps. I have also heard garlic is great for reducing bp and intend to try some garlic pills.

I'm also learning to eat better--more salads, less processed food, other spices and herbs besides salt, etc.

Do you guys know of anything else? Any suggestions on the right foods to eat, the right herbs, anything that could be of use. The doctor is fairly insistent that I will need meds and I'm fairly insistent that I can combat the high bp in a more natural way. Any thoughts?

Casper

Comments (2)

Sponsored