Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can We Talk About Blood Pressure?

Posted by GardenGhost (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 04 at 19:02

My doc wants to put me on bp meds. I'm 40, overweight, and my bp is currently 150/96. I've had some health problems for years that were never noticed by other physicians I've seen, which spurred me to find a new physician. I saw Dr. Harris yesterday and he has discovered a couple of minor medical emergencies to be taken care of. I'll be having surgery on Monday. Nothing really major, but some problems that can't be allowed to continue. They have escalated due to years of neglectful doctors. While they're typically minor, they just grew out of control, prompting this sudden surgery.

Anway, Dr. Harris wants to put me on bp meds once the surgery is complete and I'm back on my feet. I dont' want to do meds. I think the surgeries themselves, which will alleviate a lot of the pain, will reduce my stress level, and in turn, reduce my bp.

I also joined a gym in Nov. and have been working diligently on losing weight until the last month when I've been in excruciating pain and just totally exhausted. I've lost 25 lbs (deliberately) in the last year. I intend to continue with the gym after I recover from surgery.

I am looking for options to combatting high bp without meds. I've taken meds before and two of them made my heart rate way too low, so I slept all the time. The other one was great, but expensive and I'm on a budget. I don't want to experiment with more drugs. I want something natural.

I eat several bananas daily since I've heard potassium helps. I have also heard garlic is great for reducing bp and intend to try some garlic pills.

I'm also learning to eat better--more salads, less processed food, other spices and herbs besides salt, etc.

Do you guys know of anything else? Any suggestions on the right foods to eat, the right herbs, anything that could be of use. The doctor is fairly insistent that I will need meds and I'm fairly insistent that I can combat the high bp in a more natural way. Any thoughts?

Casper

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can We Talk About Blood Pressure?

I know what you mean about the blood pressure medicine. I don't have high blood pressure, but was on a blood pressure medicine for an arrhythmia, and I was exhausted and fuzzy. Can you take a smaller dose than you've been on?

As for your diet and exercise, it sounds like you know what you're doing. Lots of fruits, vegetables, whole grains. Lean meats. Non-fat or low-fat dairy. Good fats like olive oil. A handful of nuts each day. Exercise as close to every day as you can.

I like to cook double or triple recipes so I always have something healthy in the fridge or freezer. I also buy prewashed baby spinach, which is the quickest salad on the planet, I think.

Good luck. By the way, I'm just a learner, too.:)

o
RE: Can We Talk About Blood Pressure?

The researchers have discovered that the best of the heart medicines is hydrocholorathiazide - a simple, inexpensive diuretic. I wouldn't expect any adverse side effects from that though your potassium levels would have to be monitored. I use it and it doesn't bother me in the least. A "natural" herb that works incredibly well is rauwolfia, but it scares me because it feels like it works too well - and I afraid of having too low blood pressure. It was prescribed for me by a naturopath that my HMO sent me to, but I still feel wary of it. I would be glad to hear of others experience with it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here