SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
coolmama_gw

soy...for or against?

coolmama
17 years ago

I have been reading serious conflicting reports about soy online. Some say it is the new healthy alternative and very good for your heart,hair,and may lower cholesterol and prevent cancer.

Others are saying it actually CAUSES cancer,has a feminizing effect on men (one even went as far as to say it is the reason why so many boys are gay because they were fed soy formula as babies) and that it can cause thyroid problems.

Yet,the FDA hasnt mentioned any of these possible problems.

I recently started taking soymilk everyday as an extra source of protein. Anyone else taking soy? What are your expriences with it? You think it is good for you,or that this soy conspiracy may be onto to something?

Comments (25)

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't believe that the FDA would have any to say about soy or soy products. It's considered food, not a medicine. It does seem to have an estrogen like component that may help during menopause. There is some research about this estrogen effect of soy milk on children. The girls are growing breasts and starting periods earlier and the boys seem to be having a delay in developing masculine traits.
    Can you drink regular milk? I think you would get the same, if not more, protein. Yogurt and cheeses would also be more good sources of protein.

• lindac
    17 years ago

History shows that Asian women who eat a lot more soy than Americans have a much lower rate of female related cancers....and when Asians become Americans the rate rises.

As for soy formula making babies homosexual...pure and utter nonsense! You don't make a boy into a homosexual, he is born that way....and for hundreds and hundreds of years, studies have shown ( as well as any can about such a subject) that about 12% of the population is gay....and always has been.
    Eat soy...eat tofu, edamame, use soy flour to increase the protein content of breads and muffins...it's good for you!
    Linda C

• woodnymph2_gw
    17 years ago

Against. Let's face it, soy is a plant estrogen. Why would anyone want to feed their kids hormones (estrogens)?

Asian soy is treated and aged differently than soy in the US. Thus, it's safer, studies show. I have read the contradictions and think they raise a red flag.

Get your calcium and protein some other way. I am playing it safe, for now....

• eandhl
    17 years ago

We eat tofu, add edamames to soup and my DH uses soy milk for cereal. Several extended family members do also. We have been doing this for years. I agree soy formula making babies homosexual...pure and utter nonsense! But one thing for sure it has saved a lot of babies with allergies.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

It was NOT said that it made them homosexual. There is some evidence that it can cause a short delay in the development of male characteristics. This is one of those things that you cannot prove beyond doubt. Boys don't seem to be developing as early and the girls are developing sooner. Researchers simply haven't been able to come up with any other thing besides soy milk to account for the difference. It's something to think about. If a child is not allergic to cow's milk, is there any point in using soy?

• coolmama
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wasnt going to give it to my child anyways (who would probably just scoff at it) I'am wanting it for myself.I really like the taste of soymilk,and am intrested in tofu and stuff. I have heard soy can be great for hair growth and hair health.

I agree that it sounded crazy causing kids to be gay...agnespuffin,one guy was actually saying that. He had written like 5 articles saying the dangers of soy and that was one of his reasons.He said giving soy to a male baby was equal to giving him 5 birth control pills a day...which in turn,makes them gay.
    I think I'm gonna take my chances and keep taking it.There is alot of good things I hear about it as well,that seems to be more by people who know what they are talking about then some guy that is getting alot of hate mail.

Thanks for all the opinions! :)

• rivkadr
    17 years ago

Those who have thyroid problems may want to eat it in moderation. I'm hypothyroid, and I've found that even eating a small amount will cause a significant weight gain, as well as noticeable mood swings. Others with thyroid problems have reported similar symptoms. Which is a bummer, because being a vegetarian, it would be nice to be able to use soy as a major protein source, but I just am not able to.

• Meghane
    17 years ago

Adult women produce 5 million nanograms of estrogen per day normally. Pure soybean oil has 560,000 nanograms of estrogen per ounce. I don't know anyone who would drink an ounce of soybean oil, but if they did it is only 1/9th of what their body produces anyway. Men produce about 500,000 nanograms of estrogen per day normally as well, so I'd be more worried about the effect of estrogen on males and immature females than an adult woman. Children produce only 40,000 nanograms, so I'd be very cautious about giving them too much soy. Humans develop at certain times for a reason, and I for one don't see a need to hurry up the process.

Here's a good article explaining the benefits and risks of soy products

Here is a link that might be useful: Women's Health phytoestrogens

• coolmama
    Original Author
    16 years ago

"Those who have thyroid problems may want to eat it in moderation. I'm hypothyroid, and I've found that even eating a small amount will cause a significant weight gain, as well as noticeable mood swings. Others with thyroid problems have reported similar symptoms. Which is a bummer, because being a vegetarian, it would be nice to be able to use soy as a major protein source, but I just am not able to."

I'am bumping my thread because after taking soy for almost three months now,I have noticed the same things in the quote! I have gained 5 pounds while eating as I normally would eat,and I noticed if I do not drink it regularly I too have mood swings!
    I have decided to stop drinking it for now and see if I continue with these problems.

• babysmaid
    16 years ago

Cow's milk has been known to have hormones in it. Hormones are injected into a cow to stimulate milk production, which is then passed on to humans. Look for milk containers that say "No hormones, or rBST."

Many scientists believe young girls are starting puberty early due to the consumption of hormones through foods like meats, and milk products that have been altered by artificial hormone enhancement.

Food for thought...;)

See Wikipedia for information on rBST:

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia

• lilacs_of_may
    16 years ago

I've stopped taking soy supplements and in general stay away from soy. Soy binds iodine. Iodine is needed for proper thyroid function.

Soy products like soy sauce, tempeh, and miso are fermented, so they're okay.

But I suffer from hypothyroid, so, except for the above -- no soy!

• shea
    16 years ago

The vast majority of soy (80-90%) in our country is GM (genetically modified). That alone would keep me from consuming it, but there are plenty of other reasons.

Here is a quote from a preeminent doctor in the field of nutrition, Dr. Russell Blaylock: "Recent research has shown that genistein (the isoflavone component of soy) actually augments the growth of breast cancers - as opposed to inhibiting them, as was previously thought. In addition, there is persuasive evidence that elevated soy intake might increase the risk of pancreatic cancer.
    And soy has soaring levels of the excitotoxin glutamate, fluoride and manganese (which can impair the developing brain and lead to Parkinsons in adults). Of special interest is a 25-year Hawaiian study in which a group of people who ate soy products was compared to matching controls. The experiment found that the more soy that was consumed, the greater the brain atrophy - and hence dementia."

Another quote from Dr. Blaylock: "The modern American diet is loaded with glutamate in the form of MSG (monosodium glutamate), hydrolyzed proteins, caseinate, soy products and natural flavoring. Our national obsession with soy is ludicrous when you realize that soybeans have one of the highest glutamate levels in the plant kingdom." This would account for why it affects the thyroid.

A recommended book on the subject is, "The Whole Soy Story" by Kaayla T. Daniel. In it the author notes how Asian soy differs from ours. This might explain why, as another poster above mentioned, Asian women have fewer cancers than American women. Also their diet is much richer in omega-3, which would add to their protection against cancer and other diseases.

It is alarming that many still consider it a healthy food when it is not. Also, it is really difficult to avoid soy, as it is in a great number of processed foods. All the more reason to stay with a diet of whole foods, preferably organic. And as has already been pointed out, make sure any dairy products you consume have no hormones, antibiotics or rBST.

• lydia1959
    16 years ago

"Those who have thyroid problems may want to eat it in moderation. I'm hypothyroid, and I've found that even eating a small amount will cause a significant weight gain, as well as noticeable mood swings. Others with thyroid problems have reported similar symptoms. Which is a bummer, because being a vegetarian, it would be nice to be able to use soy as a major protein source, but I just am not able to."

Me too! I was drinking just a small amount of soy milk daily and it had the same effect on me. I was just diagnosed as Hypothyroid last week. No soy for me.

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

That's funny, lydia -- I was drinking soy milk daily as well (using it in my cereal) when I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism as well. I had read all this stuff about how soy was healthier for you, helped lower cholesterol, etc. And as a vegetarian, it just seemed like the more ethical choice to make. Ah well...

"Our national obsession with soy is ludicrous when you realize that soybeans have one of the highest glutamate levels in the plant kingdom." This would account for why it affects the thyroid.

My husband was recently diagnosed with HYPERthyroidism; I can't help thinking it may have been his over-reliance on packaged soy products that may have caused it. It does seem odd that we both become vegetarian, hit the soy products heavily, and then both develop thyroid problems. Maybe just a coincidence, but still...

And as has already been pointed out, make sure any dairy products you consume have no hormones, antibiotics or rBST.

Yep, I've switched to organic milk. It's right next to the regular milk in the dairy section. May cost a tad bit more, but I'm willing to pay that for peace of mind.

• missjulied
    16 years ago

Many people are also allergic to soy and don't know it - it's one of the common food allergens/intolerances along with wheat, milk, eggs, nuts and shellfish.

I was consuming a fair amount of soy products for years (been a vegetarian since I was a teen), but it turned out to be the cause of some persistent rashes. I stopped the soy and they were gone in a week, never to return.

I'm a "fishetarian" now.

• 3dawgs
    16 years ago

Ha-ha, I'm a "fishetarian" too. I can't drink cold milk, and have been using soy milk on my cereal for several years now. Reading this makes me reconsider it. I'm not too enthused about rice milk, so I guess I'll have to think of something else easy for breakfast.
    Jen

• patrice607
    16 years ago

I started taking a soy/black cohash supplement to ease menopausal symptoms. I also eat cereal with soy milk. I put on 5 pounds and stopped the supplement. I can't seem to shake the extra 5 so I'm going back to regular milk to see if that makes a difference.

thanks for posting!

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

Those of you looking for a substitute to soy milk (and don't want cow's milk for ethical or health reasons), there's rice milk and almond milk. Rice milk tends to be sweeter in taste than soy milk, and almond milk supposedly has a slightly nutty taste. You should be able to find either at a health store or Whole Foods type place.

• healthy-oil-guy
    16 years ago

As a person of asian ethnicity, we would eat soy only in small amounts. Tofu mixed with meat in stir fries and soy sauce in small amounts as a condiment in how we would take soy.

I believe the studies showing health benefits of soy in asian cultures fails to mention that we only ate soy in small, moderate amounts.

I think some people can eat too much soy. Once the media started touting the benefits of soy, it seemed that you couldn't eat enough of it.

I believe everything in moderation is fine. Some people eat soy burgers, soy cheese, and soy milks, to name a few. Too much of anything is not balanced and healthy.

• carolpolki
    16 years ago

WATCH WHAT YOU READ THE TRUTH IS, SOY IS GOOD FOR YOU!

According to Maureen Kennedy Salaman, President of the National Health Federation, even people who should know better have been jumping on the conventional medicine bandwagon to blast soy products. Numerous websites warn that soy products which are very popular contain chemicals, toxins, and growth inhibitors - but when you do research on these so-called dangers, you discover that every negative assumption is based on a healthy truth. And therein lies the problem.

One of the arguments against soybeans is the allegation that the phytic acid in soybeans also called phytates blocks the absorption of minerals in the intestine. Although phytates do bind with minerals, they do so in order to stop free radicals and keep the minerals at safe levels in the body. Phytates shield us from dangerously high levels of iron. In some animal studies it has been shown that phytates even stop the growth of cancerous tumors. Phytates are found in foods high in fiber. Since fiber rich foods protect against colon and breast cancers, it is now thought they are the protective agent in fiber. It appears that binding minerals in the intestines that phytates inhibit the cancer process, especially when it comes to iron. Iron generates free radicals and phytates act as an antioxidant. Excessive iron is also known to increase the risk of heart disease. Even a small amount of phytates in food can reduce iron absorption by half; but the effect is less marked if a meal is supplemented with ascorbic acid, which can also help in the absorption of zinc and calcium.

Phytates are also known to help prevent cancer by building the immune system. By working directly to control cell growth, pyhtates may be an ideal protective agent against a wide range of cancers. Fiber, along with its associated phytates, also provide benefits by regulating the absorption of glucose from starch.

Soybeans are unique among plants foods in supplying all of the essential amino acids that the human body needs. In addition soy contains genistein and daidzein, plant hormones that seem able to either mimic or counter the effects of estrogen. A Harvard study states that soy products are associated with fewer hot flashes and because soy isoflavones-bioflavonoids have certain estrogenic effects, women and researchers have looked to soy as a possible hormone replacement therapy. The same study also showed an increase in bone-mineral content and density after postmenopausal women took an isoflavinoid rich soy preparation.

Another published study claimed that 'soys estrogenic effects are associated with elevated rates of breast cancer'. The authors claim was based on a study of women with 'estrogen receptive positive' cells. This means they were already sensitive to estrogen. Its like giving milk to someone who is lactose intolerant then proclaiming milk to be harmful.

Another interesting fact is that soy isoflavones resemble tamoxifen, already used for breast cancer prevention but is a much healthier alternative.

One of the most nefarious claims about soy is that infants of both sexes who are fed soy milk MAY later develop hormonal abnormalities such as early menstruation or delayed male genital development. This has just not been shown to be true in any study.

In one study on osteoporosis, post-menopausal women showed an increase in bone-mineral content and density in the lumbar spine after taking an isoflavone rich soy preparation. But rather than highlight the truth, the authors of one study chose to emphasize the fact that there was no increase in the thigh bone. Six months is too short a period of time to see results using food products.

Eating 25 grams of soy protein a day has been shown to lower cholesterol and reduce the risk of heart disease - according to the FDA (and you know how conservative they are)

Vegetarians have long used soy protein as meat substitutes because soybeans offer all the amino acids essential to human nutrition something other beans and plants do not.

So enjoy Soy! Drink it, eat it, snack on it, cook with it - and profit from its many wonderful properties.

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

Why are you posting spam links in this thread? You've been a member of this site for a long time, haven't you? You should know better.

In addition soy contains genistein and daidzein, plant hormones that seem able to either mimic or counter the effects of estrogen.

And that's why those of us with thyroid conditions need to be careful about ingesting it. For us, a blanket statement like "SOY IS GOOD FOR YOU" is not necessarily true.

• carolpolki
    16 years ago

Why do you consider it a spam link? The question was "soy...for or against?"! I have used this soy for 35 years and it keeps me healthy and energized! Is it wrong for me to try and set the record straight about soy? Are you so close-minded that you refuse to read something positive about soy? Unbelievable! If anyone wants more, very interesting, information on soy, send me a PM. I'll be glad to share, and you're not obligated to buy anything! How's that, rivkadr?

• woodnymph2_gw
    16 years ago

The problem is that Asian soy is aged and processed differently than is the soy produced in the West. There was an excellent from the Manchester Guardian some months ago about this issue. I'm staying away from it, or using it only in moderation.

• rivkadr
    16 years ago

Why do you consider it a spam link?

The reason it looks like a spam link is because:

a) you're posting what appears to be advertising jargon. I don't see anything actual citations in what you've posted.

b) the site that you've linked to says "Carolyn & Robert" at the top. Are YOU selling this product? If so, this is SPAM.

Are you so close-minded that you refuse to read something positive about soy?

I've never said anything against soy for the general populace, if you've actually read this thread. My only statements have been in regards to soy in relation to those with thyroid issues. Again, you can ingest all the soy you want, and may find it wonderful and healthy. Those of us with thyroid issues should probably be careful about it.

Sponsored