Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about cancer and secondhand smoke....

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 17:24

I am well into my sixties and haven't been to bars for over 30 years but although I never drank, I did go regularly for over 20 - 22 years before i got married and had a family. Of course, after that we never went to bars where there was a lot of smoke.

I often wonder... do your lungs (which were exposed to a great deal of smoke for years) clear a bit or does that secondhand smoke stay permanently (which may cause cancer later).

I am so mad at myself for attending the smoke filled places (I sang in a band and although never drank (still don't), it was a great social gathering, especially in the sixties). I lived in smoke filled bars for years and now I worry.

Thanks for any response.

Carrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about cancer and secondhand smoke....

They [Medical society] claim that in a few years your lungs will return to normal after you quit smoking. I can believe that is true because your cells are renewing themselves all the time. If you have been out of a smoky environment for a few years I would think your lungs are back to normal. Bests person to ask is your doctor specially if you have any symptoms

o

Thanks, doug - I hope you are right. I have no symptoms but I was just curious what everyone has either heard or knew for a fact (although we never know about these things for sure)

Thanks

Carrie

o

It may not cause you any problem. My Sis and her husband smoked all their adult life and never had lung problems. They both drank and no liver problems.

I would not waste a precious minuter worrying about it.

o

Don"worry "there is nothing you can do about it.Be happy and live one day at a time.My mother died of cirosis and never drank a drop.I drank and smoked "but never inhaled" and don"have cancer.You could be run over by a car.Treat yourself good and the people you meet and go on and have a good day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here