Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderly man sticks out tongue

Posted by pineviewplanter (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 14, 07 at 16:58

During a nursing home ministry visit, I noticed that there were 2 sweet old gentlemen about 80 or maybe a bit more were sitting there listening while our choir sang some lovely gospel music to them. Well, in between songs, they would look off as if deep in thought. All the while, they both would stick out their tongues sort of like licking their lips about every couple of seconds.. almost as if they were eating something...
Is this common ?? And is it a symptom of something?
I ask because I noticed my husband doing something similar a week or two ago... but he has since stopped...

Thanks,
Carolyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderly man sticks out tongue

Most likely they had a dry mouth and lips. Water should have been available to them. Many times elderly people do not produce enough saliva to keep the mouth moist.

Dry mouth is very common and there are remedies for the problem.

o
RE: Elderly man sticks out tongue

This may be a condition known as Tardive Dyskenesia. It is a side effect of certain antipsychotic medications. It's some times necessary to give some patients drugs of this type so that they can be controled in a nursing home environment. The patients don't seem to be bothered by it, but it is hard to watch. My mother was on it for years and finally developed the condition. She was a problem patient.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here