Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rotator cuff after surgery-- how do you move?

Posted by sewnice50 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 20, 06 at 11:46

I am having rotator cuff surgery April 14..left arm. Its a bad tear. My Dr. said I will not be able to lift anything heavier than a pencil. I am worried because I am a very heavy person and just getting out of a chair requires me to use most of the muscles in my body. How can you move with out straining the surgery? What about getting in and out of bed? I am very worried about the success of this surgery.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rotator cuff after surgery-- how do you move?

Practice now using your other side. I didn't have a tear, but did have surgery in nov for a burr. I too am heavier. Leg muscles are used more. If you have to use mroe cushions so you use your legs more, then do that.

Vickey-MN

PS when you have the surgery, if they give you the option of having your arm numbed..do it. It wears off after about 24 hours which means no pain for 24 hours!!! You will be happy you had the surgery.

o

Pratice is a very good idea. You will be surprised at what a difference it will make. I had hand and wrist surgery and practiced using just my left arm and hand for about three weeks before. By the time I needed it, I could feed myself, brush my teeth, bathe, and do a lot of my usual work. I was soooo glad I didn't wait. I would have been in a pickle not practiced.

o

For a heavy person (and I speak from personal knowledge) getting up is easier if you lean forward with keees bent until your butt is just about off the chair and then straighten your knees. Practice doing this in a straight chair and you'll find that you need very little pushing with your arms, and maybe none at all, to rise up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here