Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Diabetes Understanding?

Posted by christine1950 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 9:34

I wonder if someone can explain this to me, my neighbor has diabetes and is on some type of meds not the shots, she eats anything and everything from cakes, cookies and candy and I just dont understand how is that possible. Am I mis understanding the disease? I always thought that you must be on a pretty strict diet,any thoughts would help me to understand. Thank you for any insight :>)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Diabetes Understanding?

proper diet is very important for a diabetic because you use it to keep your blood sugar and insulin levels as stable as possible to prevent the peaks and lows. The medication is to help your body use the insulin more effectively so for a diabetic not to use diet as part of their treatment, they won't be controlling the diabetes properly. I will say though that in my experience, many general doctors don't know how to advise people properly about diabetes and your neighbour should get referred to a dietician or diabetic educator to learn how she should be eating and how important that is for her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here