Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feel like I'm breathing under water

Posted by cheerful1 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 21, 06 at 9:28

Sometimes my breathing feels like I'm under water; my walking feels labored, like my legs are full of water(even though they don't look it). Don't know if it's related to my periods or menopause.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feel like I'm breathing under water

Have you talked to your doctor about this? If you haven't, you should. I hesitate to suggest anything, but I feel somewhat like this during the allergy season. I just feel waterlogged. Not all allergies make you sneeze or cough. At any rate, you really should let your doctor know. He may want to watch to see if anything develops further.

o

What agnespuffin said. From my own history, allergies can do terrible things. Are you on Long Island, cheerful1? I'm in NJ and the winds of the last several weeks, coupled with the lack of rain which is creating dust, are doing a real number on me: heart racing, head pounding, chest hurts, nausea, dizziness...the whole shebang. I would think you would also have experienced the winds.

Agnespuffin - your name reminds me so much of my mother. Her name was Agnes and after an experience at an Audubon camp off the coast of Maine in the 50's, she fell in love with puffins.

o

Yes, I'm on Long Island. The winds have been awful here.

o

A worst case cause for labored breathing accompanied by a draggy or heavy feeling is the possibility of the beginning of congestive heart failure, which doesn't always strike only those who are overweight and diabetic. But many other things can account for similar symptoms, such as a thyroid problem, which turned out to be the culprit in my case. I second Agnespuffin's suggestion to see a doctor if the feeling continues, just to rule out anything more serious than seasonal allergies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here