Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Botox long term harm?

Posted by tropical_thought (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 9:02

The downside of Botox is you have to do it again and again. My question is there any long term bad effect for repeating the treatment over and over? Some of the actresses do it so much so often. I am sure in the future we will know if they are harming themselves, but I want to know now. I did a few searches, but can anyone find anything about long term effects of botox.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Botox long term harm?

Think a bit about this.

A person injects something under the skin over and over again. It doesn't matter if it's botox or water or something else. It's a quanity of material that doesn't belong there.

Do you really think that the body is going to accept this over and over again?

And what do you think the most logical thing to happen would be???? Saggy skin, maybe??????

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

o

It is hard to say, because saggy skin could be caused by aging. If they started at 40 then by 60, they would have some saggy skin anyway regardless.

o

There has been a problem in children. I read they use it for something else and there was a problem. I wish I had remembered the details. You might google botox and children.

o

Why would children need botox? They don't have lines on their faces?

o

They were treating the children for another problem. There is a short clip where a doctor explains children treated botox for health reasons. He also gives side effects.

Here is a link that might be useful: botox and children

o

I went ahead and tired it, but I would like to report that it did not help the wrinkle between my eye brows at all. It looks just the same. I can't wrinkle my face anymore, so I don't know if that will help me in the future for that wrinkle to not get worse. But, as far as I know, Botox is only useful for preventing the wrinkle. I should have started when I was 10 years younger. But, then again, if I was doing for the past 10 years who knows, we get into long term use and then I worry. It also says once you are 65 you have to stop using it. I don't think it is worth the money, when you already have a bad wrinkle, unless you can really afford to spend $800 dollars per year on something that is not really changing you for the better, but only perhaps preventing it from getting worse. The actress who have no wrinkles have a lot of work done. But, who wants to look like Joan Rivers after age 65?

o

Botox injections are used to reduce wrinkles. The toxin affects nerve endings, preventing the brain from sending messages that make muscles contract.

o

Royal, that is down right scary! Thanks for the info.

o

Botox was originally invented for treating cerebral palsy (CP). CP makes the muscles knot up, and botox helped relax the muscles. It is still used to treat CP. It was only later that botox was used as a "beauty treatment."

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here