Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I take these fish oil pills w/o getting fish burps?

Posted by ms_minnamouse (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 4, 09 at 8:29

How do I take fish oil pills without getting fish burps?! It's so disgusting but I keep getting them. And I've done everything that they advise you to do to prevent them but it doesn't help. I take enteric coated pills and I take them with a meal. I can only take ones that use non-pork gelatin capsules.

I think the pills really do benefit me but I can't stand the fish burps. And I don't really like to eat fish.

Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I take these fish oil pills w/o getting fish burps?

I've heard that if you freeze them it helps.

o

This is such a good question, because those burps are really gross.
They don't bother me as much as they do my husband. They have almost made him sick before, so he's completely stopped taking them.

Have you tried switching to a different brand? I was given some samples from a friend that worked for an eye doctor. They are also used to help people who suffer with chronic dry eyes. I'm sorry I can't remember the brand, but they didn't make me burp at all. DH still wouldn't try them, his experience was too bad with the first kind. So I don't know if it was just me or not. They were gels with the oil inside (like vitamin E).

Sorry, this isn't much help.

o
found them

I looked up the pills I took for my eyes. They were Thera Tears. I don't know if these are something you can take, but they didn't make be burp.

Here is a link that might be useful: fish oil pills

o

I take Krill oil and never have any burps, plus the pills are much smaller and 48 times more potent.

Here is a link that might be useful: Krill Oil

o

ms_minnamouse I had the same concern as you as I hate oily fish. I found one by Spring Valley at Walmart that has an enteric coating to prevent the aftertaste. My husband and I have been taking them for a few weeks without the nasty burps. According to the product the coating reduces the fishy aftertaste and ensures optimal delivery to the intestinal tract.

o

I used to get the same fishy-burps.... I just made sure to take them while eating a meal. Take them one at a time inbetween bites, and I didn't have any problems.

I've also heard that freezing them helps.... never tried it though.

o

Look for the jars that have "no burps" written on them. I am not joking, a pharmacist explained to me that there is a difference in them. He also said "I don't know why people take those things, they can really tear up the stomach." I wish you had the ones I have here. I had a weak moment and bought a jar and got one free. I am not taking any of that junk. also they need to be in a dark bottle and stored in the fridge or freezer. They are very sensitive to light and heat.

o

You might consider taking omega-3 supplements extracted from algae instead of fish. You can find them in natural foods stores or on vegetarian websites.
Anyone else seeing a background wallpaper of SPAM cans? I had to highlight all the text to read this page over the wallpaper!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here