Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snacks for Diabetes and High BP

Posted by berk (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 9, 10 at 8:23

Anyone have a clue what a diabetic with high blood pressure can snack on???
My husband is a land scaper and burns up many calories and I need to find some sort of snacks I can send with him.
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snacks for Diabetes and High BP

You and your husband should have a conference with a dietitian. I like those lower carb, lower sugar nut bars. I know Kroger's and Marsh have their own brand. I think they're called sweet and salty, or something like that.
Some people are very sensitive to salt, so if he's not sweating alot, he should try to eat less salt.
There's always raw veggies, fruit, nut butters and whole grain crackers. You can find drinks that are higher protein, lower carbs that are good for diabetics.
Unsalted or low salted mixed nuts are a favorite snack of our's. Yes, they are higher in fat, but no carbs and good protein.
You can add a little bit of dried fruit to the nuts to give it a little sweetness.

o
RE: Snacks for Diabetes and High BP

I agree with Catherinet, talk to his doctor or dietitian. There are many variations of diabetes, and there isn't a cover-all answer for all diabetics.

I am hypo-glycemic, and many of my snacks are the same as a diabetics even though they are the opposite medical problem. I like Trader Joe's version of a fruit rollup, they are really good and fit in a pocket or purse easily. They provide quick fructose. Also crackers or mixed nuts are a good option, I like to keep a trail mix with nuts, M&Ms and raisins handy for a quick snack too (Costco has the best for cheaps!).

Good luck, it isn't an easy disease to live with, but you get the hang of it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here