Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
freezing water in plastic bottle; ... what else...?

Posted by vieja (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 23, 10 at 1:17

I have been freezing water in the plastic bottles that water come in .. I keep two in the freezer & take one out each morning to thaw & use during the day. While I have heard 'yays; & 'nays' about whether chemicals are released from the plastic in the bottles when re-used & frozen & thawed, I just 'have' to have my bottle of ice water! What other type/material of container could I use instead to keep water frozen to thaw & use during the day?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: freezing water in plastic bottle; ... what else...?

Buy a couple of water bottles. They are fairly cheap and you don't run into plastics that shouldn't be reused. Mine are made by rubber made. I alternate and always have one in the freezer and one that I'm using. I've had them for the last year and so far no problems with freezing them.

I don't thaw but only fill the bottle 1/3 full to freeze and then fill with water when I take them out of the freezer. It keeps the water cold for most of the day and you can add more cold water as the day goes on. They make an excellent freezer bag for lunch pails too.

o

like you, I also have one or two in the freezer that I've only filled half full of water & the another that I take out of the freezer & fill to the top with tap water to start using. You say 'buy a couple of water bottles' by rubbermade ... what are these made of? Would the metal ones I see with the flip top withstand freezing... split/ even if only filled part way before freezing? I just don't like even real cold water as I have the habit now of only wanting icy water with a few pieces of ice still in it!!

o

vieja:

My bottles are made of the same plastic that rubbermade uses for all their food storage containers. I thought the metal ones were thermoses. I dont think there would be a problem if they are just water bottles unless they were of a material that would rust. Myself--I'll stick to the plastic ones.

o

so the Rubbermaid plastic is OK? I had heard earlier that Johns Hopkins Medical had said the plastic bottles that water came in was OK to re-use & freeze too but now I guess they say it 'is better not to re-use them' whatever that means now ... SO confusing! Now I wonder about the microwaveable containers for cooking!? I guess I will try & find those Rubbermaid bottles now .. I guess I had never really looked for or seen them before.

Thanks so much for your info. ... like you, I love my water bottles frozen!

o

I tried using a metal one - not thermos, but it sweat so badly when I took it out of the freezer that I didn't use it again. You can freeze water in almost anything if you leave the top off so that the air can escape when the water expands while freezing.

I like ice water, too

o

Thanks, ivamae ... I had about decided to buy those metal water bottles but will think twice now ... that 'sweating' does sound messy & I carry my iced water bottle everywhere I go! I guess I will try & find those Rubbermaid bottles ... guess I just haven't looked for them before so can't remember ever seeing them or what they looked like. With all this microwavable stuff we use I wonder if it is OK of if we should go back to glass ? But the plastic is SO handy to use & storable ....!

o

That's a myth about any danger from freezing water bottles being harmful.
Read what the very respected Johns Hopkins site says.
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Truth from Johns Hopkins

o

Those metal drink containers are usually stainless steel which is supposed to be safe but they do sweat terribly. There are stainless steel double walled travel mugs that would be sweatless. They cost considerably more but would serve the purpose much better. I reuse a few glass drink bottles to freeze water in and take for drinks. At least they won't add contaminants when you leave them in a hot car and you can still drink the water, but hot. I often wrap a paper towel around them held with a rubber band to absorb the moisture. I've also switched to glass containers for storing food. Most of them are old and there is no way of telling if they are still safe for food after years of use.

o

most of the metal bottles I have seen say not to freeze them. I always fill the bottles half full also like oilpainter & then when I remove them from the freezer I fill the rest with cold tap water. Until I find a good reliable replacement I guess I will just continue using the plastic bottles the water came in originaly as Johns Hopkins still seems to feel they are safe to reuse & freeze. I haven't found the Rubbermaid bottles yet & wonder if they are safe to freeze & reuse?

o

The harm comes to the plastic bottles when they are heated and plastic deteriorates and contaminates your drink with bad molecules. I don't trust the plastics any longer, thus I wash and reuse glass drink containers. Some of them have large enough tops to push ice cubes through the tops for iced water or whatever, others I fill part way with water and finish filling with ice water when I'm ready to use them. There are sponge sleeves that one can find to cover them with to keep sweating down. I just use a paper towel. They are breakable but I'm careful with them when transporting them. So far, I've never broken one.

o

terrapots: I never heat the plastic bottles. I found some cheap (88cents each)foam bottle holders/sleeves at Walmart that fit nicely around the base of the bottles to obsorb the moisture after taking the bottles from the freezer. Until I find a better 'tried & true' bottle that I can freeze 1/2 full of water (& then add cold tap water when ready to use) to take with me outdoors when I'm working I guess I will trust Johns Hopkins & continue to reuse & freeze the plastic bottles. The water stays cold longer than if Istart by adding ice water or cubes & -knowing me- I would soon break any glass container! I have at least three bottles at all times in the freezer as i go through them one-by-one during the day at home or in the car driving.

o

I go by the manufacturers advice, if it says do not reuse I don't reuse. I keep a glass...glass of ice water on my counter all day and refill as needed. Why use a plastic bottle if it is questionable. I have a hard plastic container to can take with me in the car if I am going a distance or stop along the way and get a cup of ice water. They usually only charge a dime for the cup and most of the time don't charge at all.

o

vala55: I have become 'addicted' I guess to having the water put in the bottle about 3/4 full & have it frozen. When I take it out, I add cold tap water to fill it to the top & this way I have real cold ice water for a much longer time. Someone mentioned a Rubbermaid bottle which would be better to freeze but so far I have been unable to find one of these. I have not read any manufacture's advice on any of the plastic water bottles. The bottles bought in large quantities bundled together I have noticed have plastic is not as rigid as the same brand when you buy the bottles individually for some reason... those bottles are more rigid! Seems Snopes & Johns Hopkins still don't condemn freezing these plastic bottles altogether....

I also drink cold water out of the garden hose when I am outdoors for hours doing yard work ...!

o

I have seen warnings on some of the bottles I have bought, that says do not reuse.

Most garden hoses are carcinogenic, not sure of the spelling on that, but it is a cancer warning. The last couple of times I bought hoses there was a warning on all of them. I warn all the service people I see drinking out of my hose about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here