SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
liz_h_gw

Surviving without antihistamines - terrible ITCHING!

liz_h
16 years ago

I'm not quite insane yet, but getting awfully close! If this itching gets worse by Wednesday I may well be.

Based on previous allergy tests, I am mildly allergic to every pollen that's out there. I'm off my antihistamine (zyrtec) for 5 days for some more tests. While I get all the typical allergy symptoms, my worst is all over itching. I've been taking the herb stinging nettle 3 times a day which has helped a lot. The first day off the zyrtec wasn't too bad, but the itching gets worse every day. As the last of the zyrtec gets out of my system I'm afraid this is going to get really awful.

Any suggestions for something I can do over the next couple of days to control this itching?

This next round of testing is for foods. They could do blood testing, but my insurance only pays for skin testing.

The nettle leaves help because they contain a sizable amount of histamine. I know several herbs are good antihistamines, but I can't take them. Right now I feel like applying a thick layer of cortisone cream to my whole body, but I'm not sure that's a great idea either. I will be putting in a call to the allergist's office tomorrow, but I'd love to hear any ideas you have.

Comments (17)

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler