Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Curious about something...

Posted by carrie630 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 21:35

If a parent gives a child a check - for like say... $l0,000.00 and a few months later - or even a year later - the parent is very ill and needs hospitalization, or cancer treatment - or something that would cost a lot...

If the bills exceed the amount that the insurance has to pay - can someone demand that money back - that was given as a gift?

I've always wondered how that works as my parents are elderly and have sent checks to the children/grandchildren for generous amounts.

I know people are penalized if they have given money and then apply for Medicaid - but how does health insurance costs work if money runs out (from gift giving)?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Curious about something...

Insurance agrees to pay a certain amount, and ONLY that amount.

Anything over that amount is the responsibility of the patient.

Gifts would have no effect on the amount that Insurance was supposed to pay.

I suppose that if the patient could not pay easily, that they, or someone else in the family, could request that the children give it back. But it wouldn't be the insurance company.

o

If it is in the child's name, I don't think you could get it back. The child could give it back, but I don't think you can take it back. If you can't pay medical bills, I don't think they can deny you service or force payment. If you sign a contract at the hospital, then you have to pay.

o

That's what I thought: I've always wondered about the rules when gifts are given and then medical problems come up - I made up this scenario - but I am sure that if this was the case - children could help out with medical bills in a caring family

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here