Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
H1N1 vaccine

Posted by dougy2040 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 3, 10 at 19:31

My wife has not gotten a H1N1 Flu vaccine yet. She has chronic asthsma and her pulmonary doctor isn't advising one way or other, whether she should get the shot. Saying that people with asthsma can have bad reactions to the vaccine. Has anyone had a similar experience? Her doctor is head of a dept. of a medical school hospital, so we feel like he should know best. But then, get sick from the vaccine, or get sick from not having the vaccine? Anyone with an opinion? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: H1N1 vaccine

No one can really answer that question except you and your wife. Below is a link to the CDC in case you haven't looked at it.

Does your wife spend time with a lot of different people or kids? That would increase her risk, I would think. Have you thought of getting a second opinion?

I'm not much help but appreciate your concern.

Here is a link that might be useful: CDC asthma/H1N1

o

thanks for the link, socks12345,
we'll look into the CDC link, and some others. My wife does not have alot of exposure to kids or public places. She is a homemaker, no kids, and fairly healthly otherwise. We also read some health information on the Mayo Clinic website, a good source. Thanks.

o

I asked my friend - lead nurse at our local Public Health Department - for you and she said :

Having asthma sould put your wife in a high risk group. The feeling is that being in a high-risk group for H1N1 means that people with asthma should get the vaccine.

About a third of adults who need to be hospitalized with H1N1 instead of recovering reasonably at home - have asthma.

People with asthma should have the vaccine given as a shot not the spray. The nasal spray contains weakened H1N1 virus and is not recommended for high-risk individuals. The shot contains dead virus, safe for asthmatics.

Of course that's from someone who has never seen your wife or her records, and not meant to contradict anything her own personal doctor has told her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here