SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njtea

Colonoscopy - being taken for a ride?

njtea
18 years ago

My brother had his first colonoscopy 4 years ago - no findings - told to come back in 3 years. I thought the normal return was 10 years if the colonoscopy had no findings as polyps take that long or longer to become cancerous.

He went back in 3 years and by golly, they found a "cancerous" growth. Told to come back in 6 months for a re-do - by golly another polyp - which was apparently benign. (He won't ask for copies of biopsy reports.)

Did Dr. at first colonoscopy see something but not tell brother about it? I think that would be extremely unethical.

Anyway, he was told to come back in a year - which was last Monday. By gosh, another polyp was found.

But now he's being told to come back in 3 years again.

I get the feeling he is being used by this doctor, who prides himself on being able to do this procedure in less than 10 minutes. I was appalled when we went the first time as brother was the 24th patient scheduled for a procedure that day and they only do them between 9 and 3.

Brother has been "used" by a doctor in the past - a dermatologist who used to have him come in every 6 months and every 6 months he would allegedly find new growths on his face. We finally convinced him that he was being used.

Also, brother, who goes to doctors more than any other man I know - and more than most women- seems to be a perfect "target" for unscrupulous doctors. He never questions anything the doctor tells him - he just does it.

Is he being used or is this normal procedure?

Comments (4)

Sponsored