Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Iron Rich Foods??

Posted by Songbird_MO (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 16:51

I had a virus infection in Nov. that left me with "anemia" even yet. I have been told to eat foods rich in Iron, as my iron count is low, while my white blood count stay somewhat high. Dr. has had my blood count (CBC) checked every 2-3 weeks since I was sick, and this is still a problem. I do NOT feel as tired as I did at the start of the illness, or for awhile afterwards, however.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Iron Rich Foods??

Iron rich foods:

Liver has the highest concentration. Heart, kidneys, and then red meats are next.

One way to increase iron intake is to cook in IRON skillets. We did some tests decades ago, and spaghetti sauce simmered in an iron skillet picked up enough iron from the skillet that a serving of it was as good as a supplemtne. Slightly acid foods picked up the most iron.

o

vitamine C is helpful in allowing the body to process the iron that is in food. Be sure you are getting enough of both. As a person gets older, it's harder for the body to absorb the iron in food. That's why it is so important to eat a balanced diet with meat, vegatables and fruits.
Iron can be found in the green leafy veggies like spinach, turnip greens, kale, and collards. Also, Beans, asparagus, cauliflower chard, celery, egg yolk, oatmeal, beets, cabbaage, dates, raisins. Lots of food have iron. It's just a matter of the body being able to absorb it.

A book that I have states that for the utilization of iron, copper is needed in the diet. It also says, "Because only a fraction of the iron present in food is absorbed, it is necessary to provide from 15-30 mg of iron in the diet to be certain that 1.0 to 4.0 mg will be absorbed"

Some cereals have been iron enriched. You may want to check out some multivitamin suppliments. However, there is the possibility that iron taken this way will be constipating.

PB

o

Songbird_MO, my iron levels were sometimes borderline when I donated blood, so I started eating Smart Start cereal. It has 100% of the recommended daily amount of iron. And it is delicious! I donated last week and my iron level was very good. I don't eat the cereal every day, but always for several days before I donate blood.

o

Thanks everyone...some great suggestions, and I'm trying to change my diet somewhat, to get some iron in it, so you have been most helpful!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here