SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sneakyplant

HYPERrthyroidism & Overweight

sneakyplant
18 years ago

Is this even possible? I've gained quite a bit of weight over the last two years. Went to the doctor and he agreed to run a TSH, T3, and T4. Well, I got a copy of my results from the lab today and it says I have Hyperthyroidism. I'm overweight! How's this possible? I've got a follow-up with my doctor in a couple of weeks, but I thought I would see if anyone has heard of this.

Thanks!

Sneaky

Comments (4)

• joann23456
    18 years ago

I haven't, but I suppose it's possible. But hyperthyroidism means that your metabolism is running too fast, so the usual course is to lose weight. When I got Graves disease and became hyperthyroid, the weight dropped off fast, though not permanently. Now that I've been treated and am hypothyroid, I have the opposite problem.

Good luck in figuring out what's going on.

• sneakyplant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, I got some time today and did a Google. Turns out 10% of people with Hyper gain weight. Guess I'm in that lucky 10%! Now I'm worried that getting treatment for my Hyper will make me fatter. *sigh* I just can't win.

• articleworld
    17 years ago

Check out this introduction article on Overweight:
    http://www.articleworld.org/Overweight

Contents
    * 1 Definition
    * 2 Measurement
    * 3 Health
    * 4 Cause
    * 5 Treatment

Here is a link that might be useful: Articleworld

• peeved
    17 years ago

i have had hypothyroidism for along time now am glad to have found someone to talk to that can relate! i have alot of things going on, like weight gain,muscel weakness,palpatations and a number of other things! what i would like to know is if anyone has a problem walking? Not everyday but more often then not?I am currently seeing a doctor in Boston to fiind some answers! looking for any relief!living with this is extremly more difficult as time passes. If anyone has any advice besides the norm please tell

Sponsored
One Source Systems
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Top Choice for Reliable Home Automation & Home Media in Loudoun County