SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rivkadr

Carpal Tunnel -- Feeling Sad :(

rivkadr
19 years ago

I just need to vent for a moment. I've been struggling with carpal tunnel in my right wrist for a couple of years now, and have been doing various conservative treatments during that time (anti-inflammatory meds, wrist splint, warm compresses, etc) which hadn't been doing much of anything to alleviate the numbness and pain. My regular doctor agreed that it was time to start looking into surgery -- I saw two surgeons, both of whom agreed that I had carpal tunnel and that surgery was the way to go, but for various reasons they were unable to do the surgery (my insurance has been a real pain in the butt about deciding who is "in-network" when it comes to surgery). So one of them recommended the guy I saw today.

His advice? Carpal tunnel surgery is pointless. I should stop using the computer altogether. Um...I'm a programmer. Talk about useless advice. It's a bit difficult to be a computer programmer without the computer aspect of it. He also recommended a bunch of treatments, ALL of which I'm doing already, which aren't doing much of anything. I'm feeling frustrated...I know some people have had the surgery and it didn't work, but I've spoken to many, many other people who consider the surgery a godsend. How can you say to a progammer, "Accept your condition, and stop using the computer??" I cried all the way home, because I'm so frustrated, and in pain, and I just want to be able to do my job.

I guess I'll have to try another surgeon, and see what they say.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!