Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Items for Gift Basket/Box for Friend

Posted by suzieque (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 12, 09 at 9:24

Hi -

I am putting together a gift box (it'll be pretty big and full!) for my friend who has lung cancer. I want there to be a mixture of light-hearted things as well as pampering things and meaningful things. So far I have some non-fragranced body lotion (I heard that fragrances can be too harsh or that she might be sensitive to them), a music CD called Reverie, the book The Shack, some cute bookmarks, a dragonfly notepad, and a few other things. Can anyone who has been through this experience (either as a caregiver or patient) tell me what would be good and help her feel cozy in body and heart?

I was thinking about getting her a nice turban-style hat (she has lost her hair) but decided that that would be something that she'd probably rather pick out herself if she wants one.

Thanks so much for any thoughts -

Suzieque

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Items for Gift Basket/Box for Friend

How thoughtful you are. A magazine or two might be good in case she wants some lighter reading. If she would be interested, there are some hand-held video games (solitaire, poker, etc.) that help pass the time.

o

I found this list, I hope you can get some ideas from it.

Gifts For Cancer Patients
Gift Baskets
One of the best gifts for cancer patients comprises of gift baskets. You can make an inspirational gift basket, comprising of cards, soft toys, books on cancer survivors, and so on. Remember that the gift items should offer hope, encouragement and comfort to the patient.
~~~~~~~~~
Aromatherapy Products

Cancer treatment, mainly comprising of chemotherapy, drains out the strength of the patient. Aromatherapy products make the perfect gift in such a case, providing them with the much-needed rest and comfort. You can go for things like aroma oils, aromatherapy blanket, aromatherapy spa socks, etc.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Skin Care Products

During chemotherapy, the body is exposed to radiation. This has an adverse effect on the skin, making it parched and dry. Thus, skin-treatment products qualify as one of the best gift items to be presented to cancer patients. You can go for body lotions, lip treatments and hydrating cream.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Inspirational Keepsakes

Cancer and cancer treatments have maximum effect on the mindset of the patient. Cancer patients usually suffer from low morale and dipping confidence. In such a case, keepsakes engraved with a few words of encouragement can go a long way in making the person feel better.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scarves and Caps

Chemotherapy treatment, administered in case of cancer, works to the detriment of the hair. The cancer patients who are undergoing treatment, more often than not, suffer from hair loss, a condition that can prove embarrassing for many. Presenting them with trendy scarves and caps surely makes for a good idea.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jewelry

In case you have a female acquaintance suffering from cancer, then jewelry will comprise of one of the best bets, as far as gifts are concerned. Crystal and pearl bracelets, diamond earrings, gold chain and platinum rings are amongst the jewelry items that are sure to bring a smile on her face.

o

Excellent - thank you both for taking the time to respond!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here