Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Low Sodium Tips!

Posted by EricaSJ (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 05 at 9:14

As I wrote in my post about the DASH diet, I'm not wild about cooking and was having a hard time figuring out what convenience products I could use. It first appeared, none. But I'll do almost anything to avoid cooking from scratch (LOL!) so I searched around online and found sources for lots of stuff. Thought I'd post some info here for future reference, since high BP is so common. Maybe it will help someone else save some time!

1) You can buy Chicken of the Sea low sodium tuna by the case, online through Amazon.com. Who would have thought! (I can't find it in my market.)

2) There is a store called www.shopbydiet.com where you can search their inventory by your specific diet needs, whether it's low sodium, gluten-free, or whatever. What I was especially happy to find there was low fat, fairly low sodium Annie's Naturals salad dressings in single serving pouches. Now if I'm going out to lunch or have to pick up an emergency salad at McD's, I can take my own dressing with me and know I'm safe.

3) www.healthyheartmarket.com has a lot of stuff, including sodium free baking soda and baking powder. Also they have flavored rice mixes that have practically no sodium compared to Rice A Roni. I can't vouch for how they taste, yet. They have several cookbooks and calorie/sodium counter guides.

4) Trader Joe's has a section on their website where you can find lists of products with no or little sodium. The link for East US stores is http://www.traderjoes.com/products/brochures/east_sodium.asp?ECID=list_track
If you substitute west in the address, you'll get the guide for West US stores.

5) The publisher of a guide to low-sodium foods has a lot of the foods listed online, accessible for free. It's at http://www.indata.com/lowsalt/food_center/lsfoods/dir_lsfoods.htm

HTH,
Erica

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Low Sodium Tips!

Thank you Erica, that was very thoughtful of you

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here