Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elevated platelet count??

Posted by pris (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 29, 08 at 9:13

I went in for routine bloodwork Wednesday. The PA called yesterday. Most results were good but I had an elevated platelet count. He asked if I had ever been told this. Of course, the answer is no. He's going to discuss it with the Doctor on Tuesday when he gets back, so, here I am, stuck until then wondering what in the world can be wrong and if this is serious or not. Anyone have any suggestions??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elevated platelet count??

I'd call the doctor, even if it is the weekend. It isn't your fault that he hires a PA who should not have called you. What an idiot! That is the doctor's responsibility. Everytime we hear questions like that, we cannot help but worry, yet it proabably could be a number of things. He did not even have a back up response for you, like to come in again and redo the test.

The doctor should be able to give you more information, and hopefully give you some peace or be honest enough that you will be prepared to get another opinion.

I just reread your post. Who gets back on Tues? the doctor or the PA?

Good luck

o

Sorry to be so late in replying but evidently he (the PA) thought about it and called to have another test run before the doctor comes on Tuesday. That's where I was this morning. At least this way we will know that the first one wasn't a mistake if today's comes back the same. When I questioned him again this morning, his answer was much the same as yours. Could be any number of things. Guess I'll just have to worry about that when the time comes.

Thanks for your reply. I really appreciate you're taking the time.

o

We deal with this in pets too. Most of the time, it is expected because the patient is anemic, and the degree of thrombocytosis is mild. Sometimes though we do get worried because the patient is otherwise normal or if the count is REALLY high. A very high platelet count, regardless of cause, is a problem because it can make you "hypercoaguble" or make the risk of getting a clot much higher. Clots are the things that cause strokes, embolisms, heart attacks, etc. Again, that only happens when the platelet count is really high, and of course verifying that the count is high is extremely important.

Automated blood cell counters can make mistakes, and having a human check the results on a blood slide goes a long way.

o

I had high platelet count when I was anemic. I struggled with anemia for years because of my RA. It's now under control. I asked my doc about the possibility of clots and stroke. He said not too worry in my case.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here