Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
anterior discectomy and fusion

Posted by dlk66 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 09 at 8:40

I have right arm pain and numbness. I had an MRI and saw a neurosurgeon. I am scheduled for surgery on C6-7. Does anyone have any experience with anterior discectomy and fusion. Can anyone tell me about the recovery process? I was told I will be wearing a collar for 3 months.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: anterior discectomy and fusion

I had one several years ago. And yes, you will wear the soft collar for three months. That's how long it will take for the bone to knit properly. You don't want to risk injuring the fusion. I wasn't bother by any pain, but everyone is different. The worse thing about the surgery was getting used to sleeping in that collar. It can be done!

Good Luck!

o
RE: anterior discectomy and fusion

I only have experience with lumbar surgery for disectomy not fusions.

What I would strongly suggest though, is before undergoing any spinal surgery to seek out several opinions prior to making a final decision on surgery.

Any surgery, but especially spinal surgery, that is elective should always be done after having at minimum 1 other opinion.

Have you tried any conservative measures first?

Good luck

Fran

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here