Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
migrains

Posted by Ronnie17 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 6:42

What do you all do for migrain prevention? I'm not talking about an occasional headache, but ones that need prevention medication. I have been suffering for quite some time and have tried as much natural help as I know. Think it's time for the hard stuff! Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: migrains

Get the 'hard' stuff. Once you start using a prescription med to control your migraines you will be kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. There is no longer a need to suffer with these terrible headaches that disrupt your life.
I take Maxalt. 1 tablet when I am first aware of the headache coming on or even in the middle of one. This one does not need water to take it. It dissolves on your tongue very quickly. It can take up to an hour for the headache to be completely gone but the pain is minimal. I sometimes feel a little 'spacey' during that time, but not enough to have to stop what I am doing. See your doctor today for an RX to get real help. There are several types now and I am sure you will get help with just about any one of them.

o

See your doctor, I started with abortive medicines- the kind you take to get rid of one you have(IMitrix, Relpax, and some other I can't think of the name). None of those worked for me. We then put me on some calcium channel blockers. That kinda helped. After a year of trying things I went to a neurologist. He put me on Gabatril (a seisure medicine)for preventative, and Maxalt for abortive. I don't know if I'm building up an immunity or what, but I went for a while without them (I tend to get week long ones that are not BAD - 3 on a scale of 1-20, but like I said..a week long)If the maxalt doesn't help, it's back to Darvacet until gone, but I hate drugging myself up.

Again see a regular doctor first, then if s/he can't find a preventative, find a neurologist to help.

Vickey-MN

o

I'm currently going through the rounds of trying different medications -- I've tried Imitrex and Zomig, neither of which did anything to get rid of the migraines. My doctor last prescribed Relpax, but I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I wish he'd put me on something that actually prevents the migraines, rather than something you take to get rid of them. I'm getting them almost weekly lately, and they're basically taking me down for half a day every time I get one -- even with medication that gets rid of it, I'll still be down for several hours, so that doesn't help me much. I'm currently a full time student and unemployed, so it's not that big a deal when I get one, but when I start a real job this summer, I can't imagine that my boss will like me being "sick" for a half day every week...

o

I have a friend who discovered her migraines were due to an allergy to onions, of all things. She is migraine free as long as she keeps those out of her diet.

o

DH won't get professional drugs for his, but I read about a study using riboflavin specifically to prevent migraines. I couldn't find just straight riboflavin, so I bought a vitamin B-complex with the highest amount of riboflavin I could find in them, and he's been taking those. I'm happy to report he hasn't had a real migraine ever since - normal tension headaches once in awhile, but no actual migraines. I don't know if you can get a prescription for higher levels of riboflavin, but I'd certainly ask your doctor if he's heard of the study, and whether or not you can get a larger dosage for it from him...

o
RE: migraines

Thanks everyone!
I have tried all the unconventional methods I could come across, B2, magnesium, feverfew, totally natural & organic diet, wheat free etc. Nothing. The abortive meds don't do a thing but make me foggy.
The Aura that goes along with it is just as annoying as the pain. I am at my wits end! Guess a trip to the doc again is in order

o

http://www.anomalynews.com/phorum/read.php?f=9&i=185&t=185

it's been 15 years since my last migraine. 11 since my last seizure (and that was under extreme circumstances)

I can even have the occasional glass of merlot.

o

I get migrains that usually start with the sparkly stuff in the left eye and then half of everything disappears. I use excedrin migrain you buy right over the counter. You could try that at first. Of course check with your doctor. Ann p.s. The excedrin usually takes about a half hour to work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here