SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sephia_gw

Sleep apnea

sephia
15 years ago

Hi ~

I'm usually on the Pets forum but thought I would post here about something I was diagnosed with.

I found out I have sleep apnea. What it is is stopping breathing throughout the night. I had a sleep study done and it was found that I stop breathing 42 times an hour everywhere from 14 seconds to 34 seconds.

I had a sleep study because no matter how many hours of sleep I get per night, I always wake up like I haven't slept at all, which, is true. With sleep apnea you don't necessarily wake up but it prevents you from transitioning into the deeper levels of sleep.

Being overweight and snoring contribute to it.

I've learned in talking to people that it is really very common. I now have to sleep with a CPAP machine - a mask that pumps in oxygen to open the airway. I really didn't know much about it until I had my sleep study nor did I know anyone with it. I didn't think I did anyway.

Why I'm posting this is because if you think you get enough hours of sleep but are still tired, of course there can be many reasons for it, but checking in to whether you have sleep apnea is very important. Sleep apnea leads to all kinds of health problems - diabetes, heart failure - people can even die in their sleep from it.

Thought I would pass along what I learned. I'm glad to finally get a good night's sleep.

Comments (3)

Sponsored