Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Enlarged thyroid

Posted by Kathy_in_Delaware (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 29, 04 at 20:55

I recently had the radio active scan done on my thyroid. The results were it is enlarged 2-3 times normal.My levels were all within normal, but the high end of normal. I have a appt with a endo. next week, but I was wondering, does anyone else have this, and what was your expierence?
TIA
Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Enlarged thyroid

Not sure about that - could be subclinical hyperthyroid or thyroid nodules maybe. I think with either of these your levels can be "normal".

o

I had an enlarged thyroid along with Graves disease. What are your symptoms?

o

Joann,
My symptoms are major hair loss, moodswings, irregular periods, itching, severe intolerence of cold, weight loss/inability to gain weight, and a feeling of something like a tendon snapping when I swallow.
I went to the endo today and it was the worst expierence in my life. I showed him the report of the radio active scan and he said "thats wrong" he basically didnt listen to anything I said, cut me off before i could finish and was blamming everything on either my smoking, or stress.He was so rude and tuned out it even piss-d my hubby off!
Needless to say I will be calling around for another endo who will at least give me the respect of letting me finish my sentence and hear my complete history.

o
oops

I forgot to add, I am miserably tired all the time and my sex drive has diminshed substansionally as well.

o

You are so right to look for a doctor who will listen to you. I am a firm believer in shopping around and finding a good fit. In the meantime you might want to search the internet and see what you can find. I know nothing, except that you deserve better treatment.
Sammy

o

Wow, Kathy, you're right that your symptoms fit both hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism. Do as everyone else has said. Rush right out and get someone who will listen to you.

I have found that female doctors are less likely to dismiss female patients, but I'm sure this doesn't always hold true, and I'm also sure it's true that there are lots of male doctors who work well with women, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here