Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Glucose numbers/blood work

Posted by craftyc (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 19:42

I recently posted this on the caregivers forum, but will also ask for some help from this forum, please.
My 87 year old mom (lives with us) recently had bloodwork done and the glucose numbers came back as 109. While this is not drastic, the Dr. wants to take a proactive approach to this to keep it from getting higher...cut out "white".
He has also ordered a glucose tolerance test which she will get in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, does anyone have any suggestions or recommend any sites where I can begin my research into keeping this under control before it becomes worse? Thanks for any help, suggestions or ideas!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Glucose numbers/blood work

There's the American Diabetes Association.

When he says cut out white, I assume he means white flour, white sugar, potatoes which as I understand it are high-glycemic foods, i.e., they turn to sugar fast. That would be hard to cut these things completely, but at least you could reduce them. Whole grain products are better than white flour foods.

Just a few thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Am. Diab. Assn.

o

thanks , socks, for the reply. Yes, I am just looking for a few ideas of things to cut out or reduce or substitute. She is going into a panic mode since the Dr's visit and I am trying to get her to just calm down and do some substituting!

o

My 83 yr old neighbor would do just about anything to avoid a prescription medication - she finds potatoes, white rice, regular pasta especially hard on her levels and treats herself to those only occasionally.

Brown rice, whole wheat pasta are fine for her - they do take longer cooking times, and even though living alone, she does cook for herself three times a day!

Alton Brown's Baked Brown Rice

1 1/2 cups brown rice (brown, not wild rice)
2 1/2 cups water
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1 teaspoon salt

Directions
1 Preheat oven to 375F.
2 Boil the water and add the butter and salt. Stir to dissolve salt and melt butter.
3 Place the rice in an 8" casserole dish. Pour the boiling water mixture over the rice and stir.
4 Cover with foil and bake on the middle rack for 1 hour.
5 Fluff with fork and serve.
This rice refrigerates and reheats well. Tossed cold (I don't know why it doesn't stick together but it doesn't :)) with a vinegar/oil dressing, bit of red onion, some peas, steamed broccoli etc - makes a nice cold lunch salad.

o

Thank you, morz8, for the reply and the recipe! Appreciate the recipe...always looking for something different to replace the potoato! anyone have suggestions for "snack" type replacements? I've been told nuts are ok. any other suggestions?

o

How about cheese? I really don't know, but it's a dairy product rather than a carbohydrate. The string cheese in packages make a nice snack.

DH was recently diagnosed as being pre-diabetic, so I tried to learn what to do, how to cook, etc. But he has been so uncooperative and rarely tests his blood, doesn't try to eat right so I have just kind of thrown my hands up. Hopefully he'll have another blood test and it will scare him into action. If you are near a major hospital, they might offer free diabetic counseling that your mom could sit in on which could make her feel more in control. It is overwhelming, I know.

So what I'm saying is that I know enough to be dangerous but not enough to be genuinely helpful. Your mom is lucky to have a loving daughter to help her.

o

I thought of one other thing. The Dreamfields pasta advertised on the American Diabetes Assn. website is just as good as regular pasta.

o

Is your mother testing? I find that nothing is so helpful as bio-feedback for figuring out what works for a person. I have not found brown rice to be superior to white or whole grain bread to be superior to white as far as glucose levels go. There isn't a potato small enough for me to eat safely - but that's me. Honestly, at age 87 with a blood sugar reading of just 109, I wouldn't be too hard on her. Just keep portions reasonable and have fruit for dessert and I think she should be pretty much good to go. I use nuts as snacks, fruit too (but not bananas).

Don't get too excited about this until the next blood test. The doctor can then prescribe Metformin to help her maintain good blood sugar numbers.

A person with fasting blood sugar above 110 on 2 tests is usually considered pre-diabetic. Above 126 or 140 (depending on which organization you consult) is diabetes. That should give you and your mother some perspective.

o

Thanks all for your advice and suggestions...no she is not testing yet, just goes for the glucose tolerance test the 15th of February and we'll take it from there as far as next steps. I was just hoping to help her get her 109 down a little bit before the next test with a few little modifications. I did buy her a can of nuts for snacks and will get her some of that string cheese. She always tried to stay away from cheese because of the cholersterol but those numbers were good last time. I've heard several people mention the Dreamfields brand of pasta...will get a box of that for our next pasta meal. thanks again!

o

cheese for the elderly is not always a good idea as it can be very constipating for some. If it doesn't bother her, fine! But watch out for her if you give it to her for snacks. She could get into BIG trouble in just a few days.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here