Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gallbladder surgery complication?

Posted by imamommy (misshalk_2000@yahoo.com) on
Wed, Jan 9, 08 at 19:28

Several years ago, I was in a minor car accident and Xrays showed I had a gallstone. I was asympomatic but my doctor sent me to a surgeon. My gallbladder was removed laproscopically. About two weeks later, I started having a pain in my abdomen, just below the breastbone and between the ribs. It burns for a few minutes and radiates up into my chest and shoulders.

I went to a gastroenterologist that sent me for endoscopy but found nothing. I was then sent for ERCP w/contrast, which is where they send a scope down my throat & inject dye into the pancreas, as they thought the problem was a valve not closing. The test showed no abnormalities but I developed pancreatitis and hospitalized (I almost died) for 11 days and took over a month to recover from. So, I decided to not continue to look for a diagnosis.

I still get the pain from time to time and was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced this? Sometimes it's a mild burning sensation but other times, excruciating and there's nothing that can be done. My DH feels helpless as I writhe in pain, crying and sometimes screaming. It only lasts a few minutes but when it's happening, it feels like forever.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gallbladder surgery complication?

I had my gallbladder removed laproscopically 13+ years ago and never had any complications. Do you get the pain AFTER you've eaten? I had the same pain last year or so and it was an ulcer. I had the H.Pylori bacteria, which causes ulcers. The pain came after I ate and was between the breasts and just above the stomach.

o
omplication?

Check out this info about pancreatitis at the Mayo Clinic site. Sounds like what my niece has. She had her gallbladder removed at the age of 14 cuz they thought that was the problem. It wasn't. Her pains were so bad that she often ended up in the hospital. She couldn't let herself get hungry or she'd get pain. She's 24 now and takes digestive enzymes every time she eats something. She has just recently turned "vegan" and says that she feels much better.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pancreatitis at Mayo Clinic

o

I have the same symptoms, it is a hiatal hernia in the sphincter leading to your stomach. When it gets inflamed the stomach acid causes it to burn like no other pain. Ask your doctor if that is what could be your problem. I take meds for it, although I take so many meds I don't know the exact one that keeps the hernia at bay.

Good luck, it is not a fun illness!

o

Thanks for the responses. I had the test for H Pylori and it was negative. I am waiting to see the doctor (I'm changing to a new one) and will mention hiatal hernia as I've read about it and it does sound like it could be the culprit.

o

My husband has a hiatal hernia too. One minute you'd swear he was having a heart attack, and the next minute, he's singing!! Don't lift anything heavy. He had to quit his job because it required heavy lifting. After every shift, you didn't know if he was gonna make it. He could hardly walk because of the pain.

He also has GERD. He takes Prevacid to help with the acid and to repair the lining of his stomach.

o

I also had some acid reflux which didn't help the hernia any, and I am taking Nexium for that, and Promethazine for the pain.

Khandi, that is exactly what it is like, and thanks for the no lifting tip. I never connected that with my pain, I always thought it was from things I ate, but now I remember carrying heavy stuff, doing yardwork, moving stuff around, maybe that contributed to the pain.

o

and a lot of bending down too doesn't help!

Check out this info on hiatal hernia from the Mayo Clinic site. You have to be careful where you get medical info on the internet, but this site is great as the Mayo Clinic is known worldwide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hiatal Hernia

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here