Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
would you consider this low thyroid

Posted by flowersnow (My Page) on
Sun, Jan 4, 09 at 18:28

Every year I get my thyroid tested and every year it's "in the normal range." Only ONE doctor ever said, yes it's in the normal range, but on the low end. It's like driving your car with 1/8th of a tank. You can still drive, but not as good as with a full tank of gas. Not sure about his analogy.

My lates thyroid test came back 1.4 (.4-4.0 begin the normal range).

I have every blasted symptom of low thyroid (wrinkled fingernails, cold hands/feet/but, thinned out eye brows, infertile, extra weight around the stomach...)

Should I get additional tests or insist on seeing an endocrinologists?

One other thing, my mom had thyroid cancer (mid 50's--she's fine now)

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: would you consider this low thyroid

Numbers don't always mean the same thing for everyone. I think the wise thing would be to see a doctor to give you a good work up to eliminate thyroid or any other cause.

What might be considered "normal" for one person might too low or too high for another.

o

Snow, I would see an endocrinologist if I were you. While your numbers don't sound acutely low, you don't feel good and that's reason enough.

My own experience with primary care physicians is they don't know enough about the nuances of ideal hormone levels to treat or advise...maybe you don't need supplemental hormone but if it were me, I'd want to hear it from someone who treats those problems daily. Some people are more physically sensitive to fluctuations in those levels than others. Having some history of thyroid disease in your family does make you more inclined to experience an irregularity yourself...although please don't think I mean for you to be worrying about thyroid cancers. If your mother had one, you must know those are rare.

o

You can have a normal tsh and still have hypothyroidism. My numbers were always normal and it took me close to 10 different doctors to finally find one that checked my thyroid antibodies - they were off the charts! Even then I had a doctor say she couldn't treat me.. although I had almost every hypo symptom in the book.

I found a doctor at the site below that was willing to try lots of things to help me get better. Even so, it has taken a year and a half for me to finally start feeling good again. I imagine I have been hypothyroid for many years. To add to my problems I was also deficient in Vitamin B12 and Vitamin D.

Endos are not always the best choice either. Find a doctor in the list below, they will take you seriously!

Here is a link that might be useful: Top Docs

o

Have your vitamin D levels done. I felt like you and found out that mine were dangerously low. I was prescribed 57,000 units of Vitamin A once a week for two months and I felt like a new person. I also have hypothyroidism. The optimum tsh is l to 3 now. The values have been set lower. Your's sounds like a very normal thyroid reading BUT you have to have a further test called the FREE 3 AND FREE 4 test to determine. Best to see an endicronologist. In the meantime, first go the Vitamin A. Good luck.

o

A few good things about thyroid cancer is that the most common type, comprising maybe 80% or more of the three different types, rarely metastasizes (I believe) and is fairly easy to treat. First with surgery, removing all but 1/8 of the thyroid (if possible), then injecting radioactive iodine.
My mother had this procedure done???sometime before I was born or when I was too young to remember, as both my sister and aunt were the ones to tell me -- get this -- about 15 years ago, when I was 40.
Also, my sister-in-law was around 50 (she is now 70) when she also had this procedure done.
Since it can be heredity, I would definitely see an endocrinologist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here