SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
debbychickenmom

Pain at Base of Both Thumbs---Ouch!!

Deb Chickenmom
15 years ago

I noticed, fairly suddenly, that I was having pain at the base of both thumbs. Sometimes it seems to go down the inside of my forearms. My doctor said it is just arthritis or posssibly tendonitis. He did some blood work and said all was normal. I was afraid it was the beginning of rheumatoid arthritis since that is supposed to begin in the same place on both sides of the body. I don't do repetitive motion and it seems strange to me that both thumbs are very painful. I can't open the door sometimes, can't remove lids, etc. It hurts so badly if I bump the joint that it makes me gasp. The doctor told me to come back in two months if it was still hurting, but I hate to waste the money if it is just arthritis, because there is really nothing that can be done for this. Am I right? I haven't been able to find a brace that helps. It isn't any worse when I first get up. I have taken osteopenia medication for several years, but stopped 4 months ago when this pain started because I thought that might be causing the pain. My doctor says that is not the cause and I should return to the actonel. Anyone else with just pain at the base of your thumb? There is no history of arthritis in the hands in my family. It is really frightening to think that if this gets worse I won't be able to sew or garden or type these messages!! It even hurts to turn the pages of a book as I read!!

Comments (15)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living