Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yet another comment on Cholesterol....

Posted by DeeMarie5500 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 5, 04 at 15:29

Blood work just came back: LDL is 166 and Cholesterol is 256. Doc wants me on Lipitor. He's allowing me to come back on Feb 3 to take yet another blood test before he prescribes.

Not happy about this, as I'm on 5 other meds for high blood pressure.

I had an angiogram in May 2003; results showed absolutely no blockages. I guess you cannot be too sure about these things, but I'm not looking forward to any more meds. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yet another comment on Cholesterol....

I have heard great things about high-fiber diets and cholestorol. Several women in my Weight Watchers meetings have lowered their cholestorol such that they no longer require meds, due to the sensible eating plan and also the high fiber. There are also a lot of foods like oatmeal and cheerios that tout their ability to lower cholestorol.

Try keeping a food journal for a few days, and see if you can diary how much fiber is in your daily diet. It can't hurt, and might just do the trick!

o

Thanks Karen!

o

DeeMarie - if you go on Lipitor ask your Dr. about Q10. My Dr. has signs all over his office, that if you are on cholesterol lowering meds you MUST be taking Q10 also. Just FYI

Your friend,
Raeanne

o

DH had lipid panel similar to yours, Doc told him to go on "Protein Power" diet and come back in 6 weeks. He did it, lost 30#, and cholesterol went into acceptable range (total less than 200, HDL higher than LDL but I don't remember the numbers). DH would have lost more weight and probably lowered cholesterol more if he had exercised like Doc told him.

o

My dad had high cholesterol and started taking essential oils...flax oil and fish oil. His cholesterol dropped 30 points in 6 months. Might be something to add to your arsenal.

o

And don't forget moderate exercise!

It lowers cholesterol levels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here