Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Differnce between MD or DO?

Posted by oosnails (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 5, 04 at 15:01

Can anyone tell me the differences in the DO and MD? I am looking for a Dr. and the closses on to us is a DO. To go to a Md. it's in the next town a 1/2 hour drive. A normal day I don't mind the drive but I am thinking of when I am sick do I want to travel that far when i don't feel well when I have a Do down the street. I am limited on my choice of Dr's in my town because of health insurance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Differnce between MD or DO?

Originally they were two strikingly different schools of thought on mecidine and therapy (in the ealry 1900s). Today, for all practical purposes, they are the same.

If he's close and covreed by insurance, make a trst visit.

o

I agree with lazygardens, most DOs (in my area at least) are MDs. The big difference between the two is that a DO looks at the "whole picture." Some use holistic type methods some use chiropractic methods. My ortho is a DO and I love the fact that if I have back problems he will do an MRI if needed, treat the pain and find out if other areas are causing the problems, not just toss some pain killers at me and tell me to come back in 6 months if I still have pain.

o

How Does an M.D. Differ from a D.O.?

M.D.s are similar to D.O.s. An M.D. is a physician trained at a standard four year medical school. D.O.s receive the same four year medical school education but with the osteopathic philosophies tied into the basic principles of medicine. D.O.s also receive hundreds of hours of additional training in manipulative medicine techniques and diagnosis. Upon graduation from medical school, D.O.s continue with residency training in any of the medical specialties, from family medicine to neurosurgery.
Otherwise there are few differences; M.D.s and D.O.s have the same practice rights throughout the United States. You can find D.O.s and M.D.s working together in the best hospitals and clinics throughout the nation. D.O.s are also found in all branches of military medicine -- in fact, a recent Surgeon General of the U.S. Army was an osteopathic physician.

Here is a link that might be useful: About Osteopathic Medicine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here