Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
shingles vaccine

Posted by teddybear_2009 (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 13:54

Have any of you people had the vaccine and did you have any bad reactions to it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: shingles vaccine

I didn't get it because I was told by the pharmacist that was going to inject me it only works in 50% of the people who are injected, it's very expensive and I have a lot of side effects with meds.

I don't do preventative treatments because of the aluminum in the shots.

o

All vaccines have side effects and some are quite serious.
If you have a outbreak of shingles use colloidal silver spray and keep it wet with the silver.

o

There is no thimerosal or aluminum in the shingles vaccine.

Some would argue that reducing your chances of contracting by half or 50%, is better than not reducing your chances at all.

Could you have a reaction? Maybe, a very few do, my own sister developed a 2-day headache, rash (fine not chicken pox or shingles-like, red, all over body) about a week after hers that she suspects but doesn't know for sure was tied to the shot. Not convenient but certainly not the crisis a full blown case of shingles would be.

o

You may be right but aluminum is in most shots because it enhances the meds. I don't take the chance with meds that prevent something I may never have. I have reactions from almost every thing I take. I had 2 flu shots before I read that they have aluminum, in them and just having 2 shots will increase the chances of AZ. I had rather die and than have AZ. We all have choices and those are mine.

o

The most common side effects in people who get the shingles vaccine are redness, soreness, swelling or itching at the shot site, and headache.

o

http://wariscrime.com/new/thing-safe-vaccine/

o

I've had shingles and I was in agony for 6-8 weeks. The pain was unbearable!! Having shingles doesn't guarantee you won't have a recurrence, although the second episode will probably be less severe. It's been a year since I had it, and my doc says I should get the vaccine. Most of my friends have gotten the vaccination, with zero side effects, and none of them had an outbreak. So I will definitely get the vaccine. Having had the shingles, and having endured the excruciating pain, a few temporary side effects certainly seems worth it.

o

My research said you can only get shingles once, anything else is just a recurrence of the original outbreak. So the shot may not do you any good. Check with your doctor or the pharmacists that will give you the shot about having it only once. I can not have a typhoid shot without severe side effects, because I had the fever.

o

Just in case you are on statins
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/pox-cholesterol-lowering-drugs-statins-raise-herpes-zoster-shingles-risk-1?page=1

Other information on vaccines
The Vaccine Hoax is Over �" Secret Documents Reveal Shocking Truth
http://www.endalldisease.com/the-vaccine-hoax-is-over-secret-documents-reveal-shocking-truth/
http://childhealthsafety.wordpress.com/2012/03/14/government-experts-cover-up-vaccine-hazards/

o

morz8-"Could you have a reaction? Maybe, a very few do, my own sister developed a 2-day headache, rash (fine not chicken pox or shingles-like, red, all over body) about a week after hers that she suspects but doesn't know for sure was tied to the shot. Not convenient but certainly not the crisis a full blown case of shingles would be."

A 2-day headache, rash all over the body? No thanks.

I'm agree with EmmaR and D0ug. Why risk contracting an illness from a shot when you might never get it otherwise?

There are other things that bother me about this vaccine. Here is what the insert says (Merck):

WARNINGS AND PRECAUTIONS

5.1 Hypersensitivity Reactions

Serious adverse reactions, including anaphylaxis, have occurred with ZOSTAVAX. Adequate treatment provisions, including epinephrine injection (1:1,000), should be available for immediate use should an anaphylactic/anaphylactoid reaction occur.

5.2 TRANSMISSION OF VACCINE VIRUS.

Transmission of vaccine virus may occur between vaccinees and susceptible contacts.

5.3 Concurrent Illness

Deferral should be considered in acute illness (for example, in the presence of fever) or in patients with active untreated tuberculosis.

5.4 Limitations of Vaccine Effectiveness
Vaccination with ZOSTAVAX does not result in protection of all vaccine recipients.

The duration of protection beyond 4 years after vaccination with ZOSTAVAX is unknown. The need for revaccination has not been defined."

Hardly worth risking my otherwise good health for.

A link that might be useful:

www.merck.com/product/usa/pi_circulars/z/zostavax/zostavax_pi2.pdf

o

I got the vaccine last year with absolutely no problems.

I had a horrible case of chicken pox when I was a teenager, and if I can prevent getting shingles, then I feel it's worth the slight risk associated with any vaccine.

o

I had a friend that had the shingles, and she told me to get the shot even if it cost me a $1000. I got one 3 years ago, no reaction at all.

o

How do you know there was no reaction? There has been vaccine used where the persons become sterile but no reaction when they got the vaccine. There is many documented cases where there was a delayed reaction sometimes years. There was cases of Aids that showed up after years but the infection was traced back to vaccines.

o

The minute I turn 60 I'm getting the vaccine. I've seen people suffer horribly with shingles and any negative effect from the vaccine is minor compared with what one can experience with shingles.

Also, I had severe chicken pox as a child. DH's mother didn't inform him of whether he had CP or not - so another reason I need to get vaccinated.

o

If you have any doubts, talk to someone who has had shingles and discuss it with your health care provider.

o

A true but funny story: hubby could not remember if he had had chickenpox as a child, so was given tests that came back he had NOT had chickenpox. So he was given the chickenpox vaccine. Later he got a small rash his Dr. diagnosed as shingles!! NOW he gets the shingles shot as needed!

o

The shingles vaccine is a one-time injection. :-)

It's estimated 1 in 3 people will get shingles sometime in their life; the risk increases with age. Shingles causes a painful, blistering rash that lasts 2-4 weeks. Some develop severe nerve pain that lasts for months to years (called postherpetic neuralgia). http://www.cdc.gov/features/shingles/

Here is a link that might be useful: shingles vaccine info

o

I had it, no reaction at all. Not even a sore arm. I've known a number of people who had shingles and it is something I do not want! I had chicken pox as a kid, so it is lurking in there, hopefully to be kept in check by the vaccine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here