Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hunger

Posted by clairdo2 (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 23, 08 at 13:22

I'm hungry all the time even after a meal. I told my doctor but he just shrugged. I have gerg and have been on antacids for years . I've also been on prozac for over ten years.Any idea why I would feel hungry when I shouln't ???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hunger

Hi clairdo,
I'm hungry all the time too. I've been hungry probably every minute of my 58 years. I think there are tons of reasons why a person might have hunger. The physical reasons might be that you're eating too many carbs, which cause insulin release, which triggers our appetites. Can you try cutting back on carbs, and eat more veggies, meat, cheese, nutbutters?
There are also all sorts of emotional reasons why we eat. My mother used to tell me that she would only feed me every 4 hours when I was an infant, whether I screamed the entire time or not. Sometimes I wonder if that made me think I would never eat again, so I needed to take all I could when I had the chance..??
I always tell my husband that I'm always much hungrier after a meal, than before it. That makes me wonder about insulin.
There is one theory out there that GERD is caused by consuming too many carbs, and they ferment in our guts and cause alot of pressure and acid. Could you try shifting your foods more towards veggie and meats and see how you feel? Good luck. I know it feels like its an endless struggle.

o

Lack of good quality sleep....

o

getting plenty of good quality sleep would be wonderful - but one can't just will themselves to sleep. Sleeping comes hard to a lot of us. I had the problem even as a small child

I think there are several things that cause "hunger". IF your blood sugar is high and your insulin level isn't, then sugar will not enter your cells and they will continue to scream at you that you are hungry, and in fact, you really are. I can tell when this happens because I get so sleepy

I am coming off of a month long binge - eating something every day that I shouldn't - usually a bread product of some kind. My addictions to carbohydrates, specifically flour and sugar, are so bad that I can't have any. Zero is the only amount that works for me. When I stop completely, the cravings come down in about 24 hours. Where I get into trouble is that "just one cookie". I can no more have one cookie than an alcoholic can have one drink

I am also an emotional eater. I am alone a lot and eating fills a void. I also have a lot of pain from fibromyalgia and the little addict in my brain keeps telling me I will feel better if I just fine the right thing to eat. It sort of works, because as I said above, I get sleepy and I think the pain receptors are dulled. It's hard to argue with success even though you know it is ultimately bad for you

My suggestion to you is to go off of wheat and see what happens. Give it a couple of weeks. You might then want to see what happens if you go off dairy.

o

Here's a link about sleep and hunger if your interested...

I understand people may not always be able to get good quality sleep, but I think if they realized how important it was for good health, they may try to make it a bigger priority.

Seriously, if you're sleep deprived at all, try getting a significant amount more of sleep, and you'll probably be amazed at how much your constant hunger diminishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: USATODAY

o

sleeping is a huge priority for me - just doesn't happen and I don't want to go the drug route, though I do take a muscle relaxant before I go to bed and that has helped.

o

Clair, could some of the problem be caused by the acid reflux?
I have that, and often when I have it, it feels just like hunger pains. I find that over the counter prilosec (take half hour before meals) helps me much more than antacids. Good luck.
Lynne

o

I have osteoporosis from taking prilosec and nexium. I guess I didn't read the small print.

o

I'm using CPAP, but unfortunately, my hunger is still high.
Devorah.......I'm an addict like you. I just can't believe how eating sweets can plunge me into a horrible, long binge. I hate it.
It happens every Christmas. It has become so obvious to me that sugar is like poison.......like heroine.
I wonder if some day they will discover that those of us who have this problem, have a slow mechanism to breakdown stored fat in us and turn it into easily accessible nourishment. It seems to be slow in me, and I get soooo hungry......when I have tons of fat that could be broken down!
I think my body gets lazy. It knows that it is easily to get food more quickly by making me hungry, than to actually work to break down what it already has!
My husband doesn't have this problem at all. I so envy him!!

o

I'll second catherinet's post.

I started eating low carb for a little while last month, and it was amazing how less hungry I was during that time period. Once I started eating carbs again, I was starving all the time. You may want to look into your carb intake.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here