SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ivamae_gw

Info needed on PSA testing

ivamae
19 years ago

I will admit I am very ignorant on the subject.I understand that a raised PSA reading may indicate prostate cancer. A family member recently was diagnosed with prostate cancer. He had the complete prostate removed. They felt everything was contained inside the prostate. However, it had gone into one nerve which they also removed and cells had also escaped into the urethra tube at the apex of the prostate. The surgeon says that the cells were probably sucked back into the gland when the urethra tube was severed to remove the gland. I find this a little hard to totally believe. He said that he could order radiation treatments, now, but that would cause complete impotentcy. He prefers to do another PSA test in 3 months and another in 6 months. I was of the opinion that the PSA test only showed cells inside the prostate. Would it also show a reading for malignant cells outside the prostate ( which is now gone) for exampple in the lymph nodes or bones, etc. I am quite concerned and don't want to worry needlessly. Unfortunately when we were told that it had "escaped" outside the gland we were so shocked that we, of course, thought of questions after we got home.

Thanks for any answers.

ivamae

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals