SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pawprint1

Anyone Quit Smoking? Part 2

Pawprint
20 years ago

TNLady: I have had the same thoughts and wondered the same thing. I don't know anyone personally who has smoked all the way to old age and died of something else. BUT I do know that Lucille Ball, Bette Davis & Joan Crawford all smoked to their deaths. Which was in their 80's. THEN, I wonder, if cigarettes, years ago had MUCH less additives?

That would be the only explanation to me, as I've read the ingredience of a cigarette today, and the list is a mile long.

They smoked in the days of non filter cigarettes, and probably nothing more than tobacco in them.......

Thoughts?

Comments (111)

• Dancey
    19 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Hi Pawprint! I'm new to this GW forum. Was just surfing the different forums here and noticed your recent post. I'm a 'non-smoker' now too. Just stick with it you'll make it this time. I've quit and gone back several times. Stress has always been my downfall, at least that's what I've told myself. One time I was quit for 5 yrs. and started back. So foolish of me. I've been quit this time for almost 5 yrs. but I can't totally say I'm nicotine 'free'. I don't smoke anymore true, but I still chew a little gum now and then. sigh I'd always heard you could get addicted to the gum too. I buy the 2mg gum and then cut the little pieces in half. I talked to my doctor about this and I asked him wasn't the gum better than smoking and inhaling all that crud in your lungs. He grinned and said yes. But he said medically speaking he would like to see me totally nicotine free. Well for right now I'm still chewing once in a while. I do feel much better, have saved a bunch of money, and I should live longer. lol The only down side for me is I have gained weight! Yuk!! I know if I just put my mind to it I can drop the weight. It's just a matter of doing it. I hope you do good this time and I'm glad you have a new job you really like. ;)

Dancey

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So far so good today, even if no one is reading.
    I've had about 10 difficult moments, not stress wise, but moments when I think, hmm, It would be nice to have a cigarette or this would be the time when I would smoke.
    I have kept myself busy doing other things today!
    One day at a time!

• Related Discussions

Anyone done the math? ( part 2)

Q

Comments (40)
    Ok no one has addressed whether the cost of supermarket food is the real cost of producing good quality food. It's not. The price tag at the supermarket doesn't include the cost of land degradation by conventional agriculture, pollution by driving or flying food long distance, inhumane treatment of animals, and the fact that farmers and farmworkers don't get a living wage. Yes, it's possible to produce inexpensive flavorless tomatoes that are picked green by machines, gassed, and trucked thousands of miles. It's possible to produce ecologically devastating monocultures of genetically modified corn cheaply enough, especially when you can put high fructose corn syrup into every processed food on the shelf. It's possible to produce chicken to sell at 99 cents a pound if you cut off their beaks, stuff them into tiny cages with lights on 24/7 and "harvest" them at 6 weeks. What you calculate for your home garden costs (and you should add your labor) is pretty close to what it really costs to produce high quality healthy food. And it is worth every penny. Food is one of the basic necessities of life, yet Americans have been taught to consider that it should be the cheapest thing in our budget. The average American spends less than 10% of their income on food (the world average is around 30-40%; probably 50% in the developing world). This is false economy. I don't object to paying the real cost to get as much of my food as possible from smaller scale diversified local farming (including my garden).
    ...See More

Canadians? Only Ontarions? Thinking of quitting smoking??

Q

Comments (5)
    Well - here it is ... and a week later. Check out the "Driven to Quit" Challenge! If a resident of Ontario who joins quits smokiing during the month of March, there's a possibility of winning a 2011 Honda CR-Z Hybrid or Honda Insight Hybrid: winner's choice. There are 2 - $5,000. vacations to be won provincially, plus seven regional prizes worth $2,000. Assistance is available through Canadian Cancer Society Smokers' Helpline at 1 877 513-5333 and SmokersHelpline.ca. Must be an Ontario resident over 19 years of age (but there may be connections in other parts of Canada). 23 prizes ranging from approx. $200. to $23,000. in value to be won, they report. Prize winners must answer a skill-testing question (usually mathematical). Visit DrivenToQuit.ca by Feb. 28 to register. Please **note that deadline** - time is getting short. Sorry that I haven't posted the full info earlier. Good wishes to all of you local people who may choose to take up this challenge. Plus to any of you in other areas who may be choosing to quit about now. ole joyful
    ...See More

Those that have quit smoking--

Q

Comments (33)
    Congrats on your Quit, Jamie la!!! Keep up the good work!! And that goes for all of the rest of you who are caught up in the throes of Quitting, as well!! Celery sticks. Carrot sticks. Even a toothpick, in a pinch. Cheaper than the nicotine-continuance/replacement products. Change your routine activities that you used to do when having a cigarette. You'll get a lot of empathy, advice and encouragement at www.quitnet.org (maybe, if the ".com" ending doesn't bring up the desired site). Very thankful that, with a family history of lung weakness, and having smoked for a short while at age 16 or so (when Dad, a pipe/cigar smoker, was away) I had the good sense to have quit, away back then. And, having had a pulmonary embolism to cope with last fall ... and, after one day of some discomfort and pain, I'm now pretty well back to my former routine (while using rat poison to keep myself in shape) ... ... you can bet that this guy is now doubly thankful!! ole joyful
    ...See More

Anyone else looking for crisp sheets? Part 2

Q

Comments (76)
    IF you can find them anywhere, Rivolta Carmignati cotton sheets made in Italy are the crispest, lightest sheets I've ever found. And I found them in a bin in a thriftstore! An entire bin filled with these sheets. I had no idea what they were; if I had, I've have bought the entire bin at $1 each. I bought several flat sheets and a duvet to die for. Not until later, when I found a tag and looked it up, did I realize what they are. Other than these, I have Ralph Lauren and Thomas O'Brien, all cotton that I really like, but they really don't compare to the Italian cotton. Here is a link that might be useful: Rivolta Carmignati
    ...See More
  • Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Oh WOW Pawprint1...So good to have you back amongst us quitters! Just hang in there. If I can do it, anyone can. I'm very proud to say it has been 8M 1W 5D since I've had a smoke. I've saved $1,556.05. Have "not" smoked 7,684 cigarettes, and have extended my life 3W 5Days by doing so. And wow do I feel great!!

Congratulations on finding a less stressful job. Hopefully this is the last time you will be starting over. If motivation is what you need...you've come to the right place. Keep us posted and we'll try our best to keep you motivated.

Dancey...it's a pleasure to meet you. Congrat's on your quitting also. I know what you mean by the weight thing. I gained at first too. But I'm back to my normal weight now. I just have to exercise more than I did before. I really don't mind, I kinda enjoy it.

Looking forward to chatting with ya's again...

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for writing Pam. Yes, I'm very lucky to have a job that has very little stress. The only difficulty today was not going on a smoke break with coworkers. I did go outside twice and did not smoke, but it was difficult. I need to find something else to do during the times I normally smoked. I have that problem at home too. Can't figure out the substitute yet.
    But, so far, 1 more day smoke free. I can only count them one day at a time.

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Was just wondering pawprintl, are you using anything to help curb the withdrawls, or are you going "cold turkey"? It has been mentioned that hypnosis works really well for some. Maybe you could consider trying something like that. I wish you all the luck in the world. It's hard...but I know you can do it. You just have to believe "you" can do it. You'll get there, one day at a time.

Keep us posted

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Hi Pam:
    No, this time I am not using anything to quit. Today makes 5 days and I'm still recovering from a severe sinus infection, which is the reason I was able to quit. Too sick to smoke in the beginning. So my body has been without nicotine for 5 days, and I don't feel the need to start a patch or anything. Just work it out I guess. It's a challenge, but one day at a time. Not even a day at this point, I'm happy if I make it 1/2 day without cigarettes! And I've made my 1/2 day now!

• Dancey
    19 years ago

Wow! Pawprint that is wonderful! Just keep hanging in there. It's very hard I know. Stressful times are the hardest for me.

Dancey

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thank God I haven't had any stressful moments yet! I have noticed after I accomplish a project at work I'm ready for that statisfactory cigarette! Now I just sit here with a cup of water. Oh how fun :(

Must find something better!!!!!

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

In case anyone is still reading, I'm still smoke free. I'm now at 3 weeks, 3 days and 3 hours. I can't believe I had to start over again, as I originally started this post on Dec. 11, 2003. 3 days after I quit. That post had 94 posts on it and I started this thread. Then faild.....
    But I've been able to try again. What drama it is to quit.

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

WOOOOOHOOOOOO!!!! Pawprint1. Way to Go!! Hang in there. I was wondering how you were doing.

You can do it!!

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks for checking! One day at a time.....

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Wonder how Ripet is doing?

So far so good for me!
    1 month, 1 week, 2 days smoke free.
    853 cigarettes not smoked.

All that and I survived a minor car accident smoke free!
    I did think of smoking after the accident, but kept myself
    busy getting estimates, the rental etc. I made it through.

It still feels like it should be longer than 5 weeks and 2 days.......
    But every night I go to bed and think, "Thank God I made it through the day without a cigarette."

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

WAY TO GO PAWPRINT1!!! I check here everyday, hoping to see that you are still smoke free. YIPPPPPEEEEE!!!

Keep it up! I know you can do it.

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

So far so good! I still think about it when driving. That is so far the worst. But I made it through the stress of a car accident so who knows. One day at a time. I can't even promise that. I still promise myself 1/2 hour at a time. If I make it that far I've done good.

• wolflover
    19 years ago

Pawprint,

I'm so glad you're remaining smoke free. I'm very proud of you. Congratulations and keep it up!

I'm three weeks shy of my one year mark, but I had a little breakdown last April and smoked for ten days. So actually April 13 was my "real" quit date. LOL. I originally quit on Cold Turkey Day last November 20, but remained addicted to nicotine through gum and lozenges. In April I got hypnotized to quit smoking, and that cured me for good. I "still" think about cigarettes after a fulfilling meal, but it's a minor craving that I can live with. It's never severe, and I've never once thought about buying a pack of cigarettes. I truly believe I am finally cured of my addiction.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm getting to the scary point. My quitting stats are 1 day from my 1-24-04 post above. Tomorrow it will be 1000 cigarettes not smoked. For some reason, as it did then, quitting is becoming more difficult now. I think about them more now then the first 7 weeks. What is up with that? I have to get over this hill. It's the one I've not made it past yet. I'm still trying. One day at a time! Will I ever forget them?

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Still not smoking. 1,085 cigarettes not smoked.
    I still think about it all the time. One day at a time. I want to win and want to forget about them!

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

OH MY GOSH Pawprint1!! I am sooooo proud of you. 1,085 cigarettes NOT smoked....Pat yourself on the back!!

Yip, it's one day at a time. But believe me...it get's much easier. Just hang in there. You'll see!!

Pam.

• centralcacyclist
    19 years ago

I quit smoking 18 years ago after a 1-2 pack a day 13 year habit. it helped me to change my self image. I began to think of myself as a nonsmoker and behaved accordingly. I also began to exercise a lot and the 2 don't mix.

I confess to smoking one cigarette after about 4 years of nonsmoking. Wanted to puke! Never touched another.

I do know at least 2 people addicted to the gum but that's better than the heavy smoking habit they both had. They smell SO much nicer to be around.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

1,100 cigarettes not smoked now. So WHEN does it get easier?????
    It's been 1 month, 2 weeks and 6 days. In the past is always my breaking point. I was counting this morning all the past times I quit smoking. Each time was for about 1 to 4 months. Total of 6 tried quitting times.
    I don't want to fail this time, but need to make it over this hump and maybe forget I ever smoked? I STILL don't feel like a non smoker.
    I feel like a smoker in denial!!!!!!!!!

HELP!

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Okay Pawprint1, I'm here! I sure wish I could do this for you, but I can't. It really does get easier. You may not think so right now, but it does. I'm not so sure we will ever forget that we smoked. I still think about it at times, but it's just a thought, if that makes any sense.

I think you're doing great. 1,100 cigs NOT smoked. You should feel proud. That's quite an accomplishment in it's self. It would have been easy to just smoke. It is taking great will power to do what you're doing. Feel good about it.

Hang in there.

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I'm still hanging in there. Gosh, everywhere I go I see smokers! I'm glad I don't, yes it's been work and a challenge! Friday was rough because it was a boring day. And on boring days I'd hang out with my friends and smoke. Oh well. STILL one day at a time. I keep hearing of people who quit and say they NEVER look back and never think of it again? Are they lying?

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

STILL hanging in there. 1204 cigarettes NOT smoked. I read a book about quitting. I was able to answer all yes's to the questions of why I smoked. Unfortunatly the things they suggest to do instead of smoking are not fun!
    Breath and play with children! Yuck, I have to breath anyway, and I don't like children!
    Bah Humbug!

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Okay Pawprint1...how ya doing?? LOL, I just read your last post. You are too funny!

Sure hope you're still amongst us "Quitters".

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yes, I'm still a big quitter! As of today, 1502 cigarettes not smoked. Smoke free for 2 months, 1 week, 8 hours.
    No one writes on here except you and not that often so I kind of gave up hope of getting much help here.

But thanks for checking in!

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

YEAH Pawprint1!! CONGRATULATIONS!! I knew you could do it. Keep going, it does get easier. Isn't it amazing how those numbers add up. As for me...9,625 not smoked, and I've saved $1,949.00...(However, For the life of me, I'm not exactly sure where it is, LOL).

I know what you mean about no one writes on here anymore. You are the one that got me motivated on this quitting thing back in January. I was determined to stick it out even if it was awfully quiet on here.

Anyway...hang in there, you're doing great!!

Pam.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Yup, I might just make it this time. Thanks for the support!
    Well my membership expires in the beginning of December and I'm not going to renew. So this will probably be my last post.
    Thanks again for the help!

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Awwww...Sorry to hear you're not renewing, pawprint1. I totally understand though. Wishing you the best of luck in sticking with the Non-smoking life. It's been nice chatting with ya over the past year.

Sincerely....Pam.

• alicesRestaurant
    19 years ago

Love this thread. Thank you pawprint. (Hopefully someone will start a new one after Pawprint leaves). It has been 28 years since I last smoked. I finally lost the craving enough. I had been very addicted, three packs per day. Quitting was the toughest thing I've ever done in my life (to this day). Smoking and then quitting helped me go back to school, though and get an engineering degree. Once I had quit after trying to quit for several years, I told myself that if I could quit smoking, I could do anything. Getting a degree in Electrical Engineering was a heck of a lot easier than quitting smoking.

But... I did it by continuing to try, try, try. Perseverance is everything here. If you have a slip up, just get back up and try again. I'm so glad I quit. Yuk, how unpleasant it would be to look back to a life where I was unable to quit.

Everyone, keep working at it. Keep trying, trying, trying. A beautiful side effect will be that you will feel great power and you hopefully can turn that power toward accomplishing some significant life goals like I did.
    Good luck to everyone!

--Alice

• Daisy7
    19 years ago

Wonder what happened to Ripet? I sure hope she was able to quit, and is out running marathons or something.

• Pam_SewsAlot
    19 years ago

Yep Daisy7, I hope Ripet is still a nonsmoker too. And I miss hearing from pawprint1. I sure hope for their sake that they both stuck with it and are enjoying the freedom from such a constant burden.

Pam.

• gracie_girl
    18 years ago

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind, but I thought I'd try and join in. It was just a few days ago that I came across this thread, and thought it was great.

For the last few months, I've been preparing myself for the day I have the mindset, strength and committment to quit. And finding this thread, reading your stories, has given me a nice boost to move forward.

My story: I've been smoking 1-1 1/2 pks/day for about 30 yrs. And quite honestly, it's the dumbest thing I've ever done. Smoking is my BIGGEST REGRET!!! Past attempts to quit have failed because of stressful events, and now I'm trying again. It actually started a few years ago when I got a new (used) car and my DH & I decided we wouldn't smoke in the car. I fought it at first, because here in CA, they've banned smoking in public places, and I was NOT going to have a ban in my own car!!! Ya know? But, I reluctantly agreed to 'try'. And every time I got in the car and it didn't STINK, it was nice. And soon my desire to light up in the car became non-existant. Well almost. Sometimes when I'm really stressed, I am very tempted. But I convince myself that it'd be a shame to stink up the car just for a moment of weakness. They say the urge for a cig lasts about 3-5 mins, so I just breath deep and it does help.

Then, about 5 mos ago, I started a new, less stressful job, and while it was only supposed to be part-time at 2-4 hrs a day, the owner asked if I'd work at a different store all by myself, which would involve not being able to leave the store for lunches or breaks. That meant I'd have to go 8 hours without a smoke. I didn't know if I'd be able to do it.

Well, it's been 4 mos, and so far so good. But it isn't easy. The people that work next door smoke and if my doors are open, I can smell it and it really puts a strain on my willpower. And as soon as the day is done, I light up. I consider it a reward for having gone all day without one. I know...weak, weak, weak!!! But, the good thing is that I don't arrive early and smoke before work anymore. Now, I go from 9am to 6pm without a smoke, so that's one more cig I've cut out. Now I'm working on waiting till I get home to have my first cig after work. That'd be another cig cut out.

Also, I've been using herbal remedies, gum and deep breathing exercises to help with the cravings. I'm also eating more. Arghhh!

Anyhoo, that's the basic scoop. Hopefully I'll find strength in your strengths and will eventually join the ranks of those who have gained their freedom from the slavery known as smoking....

Oh, and Ripet & Pawprint, if you're reading, I wish you all the success you deserve, and hope you'll find your way back here. You really were a major source of encouragement!!!

Best regards to everyone,
    Gracie Girl
    Modesto, CA

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Gracie Girl: Since I started the post, it emailed me your note. How wonderful you're reading and trying! When I started this post, and Part 1, I had quit, but after a couple months started again. BUT,

On 9/15/2004 I was able to quit. And have not started as of yet. Now remember, they say, an ex-smoker is only 1 cigarette away from being a smoker. So I'll always consider myself in recovery.

I will admit it was the hardest thing I've EVER done. But guess what. When I did it, and look back, I realize if I can conquer that, I can conquer anything! And I Do mean anything!

I don't think of it as much now. I'm now at the point where it makes me sick. If a car in-front of me or beside me is smoking, and it blows in my vents, I gag and have to push the recirculate button. The smell now repulses me.

I have gained about 20 or so pounds. But I'm more healthy and saving so much money.

If you ever need support just type here. I'll read. I know what you're going through. But I NEVER cut back. That is pure torture on yourself. I think it's easier to either quit or not quit. It's all different forms of torture. Which do you prefer is your choice.

Good luck and keep up the good work!

• gracie_girl
    18 years ago

Pawprint!!!!!

So nice to hear from you. :):) ^^^^^5 (high 5) on your success! You should be very proud of yourself. I know I'm impressed as h**l. :)

Your success gives me much encouragement! :) And while I know that it will probably be THE most difficult of undertakings, I really look forward to the day I am smoke free. Like you :):) It must be a WONDERFUL feeling knowing you actually could do the seeming impossible. But, because of the great people here, I know it is possible if I just stay strong! Right?

I've been trying to visualize myself as a non-smoker and giving myself affirmations. Something I didn't do before. Another thing I'm doing, is watching non-smoker behavior. Like, what do they do with their hands or themselves at times I'd be smoking. Ya know? Kinda like trying to find examples..learn from others.

Another thing I look so forward to is NOT standing in the rain or freezing cold to smoke. Or NOT having me or my house smell like cigarettes, among other things.

And I agree with your understanding that an ex-smoker will always be in 'recovery'. Sort of like an alchoholic. But, what an accomplishment, huh?

As for the 'cutting back', it was the best I could do. You see, at the same time I seriously cut back on the smokes, I also had to give up coffee, chocolate, and radically change my diet. And there was no way on Gods green earth that I could make all those changes at once. I'd have failed at them all. :( So, having conquered 3 challenges, I've only got 1 left. And what a doozey that is, huh?

Plus, DH still smokes, and he's not trying to quit yet, so I'll need extra strength & courage. :) But, if I can do it, then he'll prolly follow, and I can help him when he's ready.

Well, thanks again for the support and words of wisdom. Lets hope for the best. It's great to see you're still here. :):)

Best Always,
    Gracie Girl :)

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

To be truthful, there are 3 things that helped me.

First: I was diagnosed with emphysema. To this day I have to use an inhaler. But what could I expect from 20 years of smoking. My lungs started to poop out.
    My doctor said that if I quit smoking that my emphysema would not get worse. Never go away, but not get any worse.
    Moral of the story: If I wanted to live without an oxygen tube, I HAD to quit. I would still be smoking if I didnt fear for my life.

Second: I am now in a 3 year relationship with a non-smoker. That has made a 100% difference as I am not around smoke. None of my friends smoke and my city has become smoke free in bars and restaurants. I now can go days and not think about it, but that took about 10 months to get there.

Third: I found this ½ hour video on the internet. It plays on your computer. Its a guy asking this professor (of something) lots of questions about smoking and quitting. It wasnt cheesy or stupid, just informative. I watched this video everyday for 2 weeks straight. I even watched it last weekend as a refresher course. Its called "Ill Quit When Im Ready". I have it saved on realplayer. I could try and email it if youd watch it.

Keep me posted and good luck!

• gracie_girl
    18 years ago

Awww Pawprint,

Very nice of you offer to email the video. I just might take ya up on that someday. :) It never hurts to have back up. :)

I'm sorry to hear about the Emphysema. My Gramma & Mom, both smokers, had COPD. Not a good thing. Another reason for me to quit!

Pawprint, have you looked into natural medicine/supplements to help your emphysema? There are many good products that might help, and many, if not most won't have side effects, nor would they interact with your current meds, if any. You'd wanna check with your MD to verify.

But, simple things like Chlorophyll, Free-form Amino Acids, Flaxseed Oil, CoQ10 & CoQA, and Zinc & Copper are just some of the things you might look into. They all have elements that target Lung health.

There is a book that I use daily. It's a reference book for Natural Health. It's called "Prescription For Nutritional Healing", by Phyllis Balch. It's about 775 pages and retails for about $23.95. You might wanna go to a book store to check it out. I couldn't live without it. My other 'bible', is "Encyclopedia Of Natural Medicine" by Drs. Murray & Pizzorno.

Sorry, I got on a roll. And I don't mean to insinuate you haven't already looked into these things. I don't know. But I work in a Health Food store, and I've seen how so many people forget there are alot of natural supplements/Herbs that will help heal the body, and not just the symptoms.

But, needless to say, the best part of all this is that you've quit, and have a great/better wellbeing to look forward to.

Thanks a million for sharing your story...your life. It's made a big difference to many people.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Gracie Girl :)

• Pam_SewsAlot
    18 years ago

You can do it Gracie Girl! Just hang right in there. Pawprint was my inspiration and it really worked. It's been 2 years now for me as of Jan 7th. Hardly ever think about it any more though. If you have read all of this thread and the Part 1, you will find that I was once going through what you are going through now. But just hold on to the fact that it does get easier. Much easier. You Can Do It!!! TOO! Keep us posted.

Pawprint...I thank you so much and I'm happy to hear you too are doing very well!

Pam.

• surfergal
    18 years ago

Keep up the good work all! you can do it! I started smoking at 16 and quit cold turkey at 32. Figured was then even, with half of my life smoking and half non-smoking. This was before lozenges and patches. I had tried to quit before and cut down unsuccesfully. Motivation, my first nephew was to be born and DS said no smoking around the baby. I was up to 3 packs a day of those low tar & nicotine cigs they were selling back then. Smoked like a chimney at work. Went to a seminar after work one nite, they did not allow smoking, and because they started late they went 2.5 hours with no break. I came out longing for a smoke, but had a thought hey this is the longest I have gone without in a long time, lets see how long I could go. I drove home 40 min with my hand jammed into a ball in my pocket. Then I said, well lets see if I can hold off until after I eat dinner, as I had not eaten since lunch, then well I will have one in the am if I have to. I carried around the same open pack of cigs for two months in my purse and just kept telling myself, later... Still smoke free now.

• gw:raymond-2006
    18 years ago

Congratulations to all! I quit about 2 years ago myself! But I also found a product called Cell Activator, which is a potent antioxidant that helps support normal vascular and healthy glucose metalbolism. And I also take a Multivitamin, and I felt like a better person in just 2 weeks!

• wolflover
    18 years ago

I am so glad I happened to see this thread with all the people who quit smoking around the time I quit. Wow, it's great to see that PawPrint and PamSewsAlot are still non smokers. I'm so proud of you guys. :) I was trying to quit back when PawPrint started the first Quit Smoking thread. I quit on Nov. 20, 2003, but remained addicted to nicotine through nicotine lozenges for several more months, and really suffered with my addiction. I finally went to see a hypnotist on April 13, 2004. I quit instantly that day with no pain, and have never touched another cigarette. It is such a wonderful feeling to be a nonsmoker. I started smoking as a child at age 14 and smoked for 32 years, two packs a day. So it was very difficult for me to give up the habit. I still love to smell cigarettes, but wouldn't touch one for anything. I had a very stressful day back in October and felt a strong urge to smoke. Even after two years, the urge was very strong. In fact, I even DREAMED about smoking that night, and dreamed how badly the smoke burned going down into my lungs. But I would not actually smoke a cigarette, and I consider myself totally "cured" now.

I highly encourage hypnosis to anyone having a difficult time quitting. It was very easy to quit smoking through hypnosis and I didn't have the pain like I had in past attempts to quit smoking. I was cured instantly and it was pain free. The cost of my hypnosis was $80 -- a very cheap cure for a deadly addiction.

On a sad note, my DH started smoking again about a year ago. (I could choke him!!!) He only smokes a couple of cigarettes a day (he says) and he never smokes at home or around me. He says he doesn't buy them but "bums" a cigarette or two from friends at work. I'm not quite sure I believe him, as I know he is very ashamed that he caved in to his addiction. I almost gag now when I kiss him and he has cigarettes on his breath. I sure wish he would quit for good...

Good luck to anyone trying to quit, and for you guys who have become nonsmokers: CONGRATULATIONS!!! I am very proud of you all.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It is so good to hear from everyone again! And see that we've been successful! On my 1 year anniversary I uninstalled my quit smoking meter. I hit 10,000 cigarettes not smoked. I will always remember the date I quit, but no longer want the meter to track my progress. It was great the first year, but now I feel secure that I'm a non smoker. My thought process is different.
    To be quite honest, I still do think of cigarettes. A couple times I thought of starting again, but don't want to go through this hell of quitting again. Plus I really hate the smell of them. It is only under stressful times when I think a cigarette would be nice.....
    I also know about the smoking dreams. But my biggest excitement dream was of me NOT smoking! That is a big step.
    So, I still go daily in life without cigarettes. I am and always will consider myself in recovery and only 1 pack away from being a smoker again.
    I know this doesn't sound positive, but actually it is. Lying to myself would not be beneficial.

I wish everyone the best of luck and so glad people are still using this website. It really helped to have people to talk to when I was quitting.

• patly
    18 years ago

On Dec 26,05 I quit smoking for the gazillionth time in my life.
    I smoked 3/4-1 pack a day.
    I had been diagnosed with vascular disease and I had to lie, yes Lie to my Doctors. I told them I had quit smoking 10 years ago, but of course I hadn't.
    I felt very badly about lying, so the first opportunity I had to make a desicion about quitting, I did.
    It has been over two months now, and I do miss them so much.
    But, I cannot go back due to medical reasons, and I do not lie easily, so I will continue to stay away from the nicotine sticks.
    For me, it is hard but I MUST do this, and for the moment I am nicotine free.
    I suspect it will always be a challenge, but I will do my best from day to day.
    Good luck to all the other posters who are having a good try at this.
    I will be thinking of you all as I travel down this rocky road, remembering I am not alone.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Good for you pat_clara! You can always post here if you need support. Sometimes just talking about it can help, and we all understand. I know it's hard to believe now, but it really gets better each month. The temptation is still there, but not as often. And as I was once told, if someone can make it a year, they are in good shape. In one year they've not smoked through each holiday, and have encountered many stressful events without a cigarette. No one is home free, but really, it gets better. And you may start feeling better, or at least I did.
    Good luck!

• socks
    18 years ago

Pat_Clara--over TWO months!! That's fantastic!! I know each day is difficult, but hang in there and keep up the good work. Good for you!

I have never smoked but feel like I did the first 20 years of my life, living with smokers.

• Pawprint
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Socks, that is the bad thing about non smokers in a smoking world. You don't get a filter when you inhale like the smoker does. No wonder so many non smokers die of cancer too. Very sad.

• socks
    18 years ago

My dear mother smoked over 60 years, living to be 80 years old (with emphysema). I don't think she regretted it one bit--enjoyed every one of those cigarettes. She tried and failed several times to stop.

• alenamaria
    18 years ago

Hi guys,
    I was smoking for 20 years...and now I just wonder how could I? I quit 5 years ago and even not so long ago I still missed cigarette with my morning coffee.
    It was not easy to quit, you know it is not...
    But it was very worthy.
    I feel better, I can smell my garden more clear...and I do not cough so ugly as I sometimes did.
    And my daughter told me that it is nice to hug me - I do not smell bad for her.
    My husband is not smoker - so he loved my decision.
    I think there is one important question to ask - is reason why I want to stop smoking important? And if yes - than go for it. Cigarettes should not be stronger than our will. I tried to stop quite a few times before too. But I always found some excuse - I had troubles and stress so I would quit after that specific problem will be solved and so on...
    Do not do that - say I stop today and stop.
    After some time without cigarettes you will see - it is worthy all effort.
    :-)
    Good luck and strong will!
    You will need it.
    Alena

• patly
    18 years ago

Thanks for the encouragement everyone.
    I will just keep on trying and will try and keep up with all the progress you are making.
    If anyone should fall off the wagon, stay with us and we will support you when you are ready to try again or even when you are not ready.
    DO NOT feel like a failure, I have tried so many times during these past years that I would not be able to count them.
    Good luck to all of you.

• lawmar
    17 years ago

I quit smoking on March 17 of this year. My husband had just been to his doctor 2 days before that and advised my husband for the umpteenth time to quit smoking. He's a diabetic with emphysema and COPD - he has told us numerous times what can happen to a diabetic smoker. So, I had been wanting to quit anyway and on the l7th I made my decision to quit that day and told my husband that it would be nice if he would try and quit too. So, he said he would give it a try and cut down on his smoking. We were just starting out on a spring road trip. From a pack and a half smoker a day, he went to smoking just a couple of cigarettes a day, with me nagging him all along. We were gone for 2 and a half weeks on that trip and he probably smoked one pack of cigarettes the whole time. Now, he still smokes but only occasionally. He's a social smoker so that makes it hard for him when we are in a social atmosphere, then he will break out the cigarettes and smoke. He started out pretty good, maybe smoking 3 cigarettes in one whole evening. But now he's got it up to maybe 10 or 12 (maybe more) and he says he's doing fine. I can see him getting drawn back into his old bad habits. Although, he doesn't smoke in the house or in our pickup, I am afraid that he will start up again. I haven't smoked since the 17th of March and to tell the truth I don't miss it a bit. I smoked for 30 years. I don't miss the stinky smell of stale butts anymore and I can truly say that I feel a whole lot better. Once in awhile I get an urge, but it quickly goes away. The benefits of NOT smoking, truly outweigh the pleasure of smoking. Now, I just need to keep working on him.

• Katalina
    17 years ago

I hope this link works. You can't stop too soon or be diligent enough about your health to get checked regularly.

Good luck to all you quitters.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone