Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Home remedy for infected finger?

Posted by Heidiho (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 23, 04 at 10:16

It started with a small paper cut 2 days ago; now my finger is red, swollen and infected. All I have is an off brand anti-biotic salve and that's not working. I also have no Epson salt but I have been soaking it in regular salt warm water but that's not helping either. Can't get to the store until tomorrow. How can something so small and minor hurt so much? It just keeps throbbing!!
Anyone have a home remedy? Thanks so much to all of you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Home remedy for infected finger?

Call the doctor. It started out as a simple paper cut, but now it's much more serious. The usual advice is to see your doctor if the wound becomes infected, as yours has.

The usual treatment for small wounds is:

1. Wash the area thoroughly

2. Apply antibiotic salve

3. Cover with a bandaid or other bandage.

The salve should be reapplied three times a day.

If infection develops, see your doctor.

o

I would go to the doc too - I have read about staph infections getting in to minor wounds just like this, and they can be quite serious.

o

When you see red streaks running up your arm.....it's time to call an ambulance.....and by getting in to the dr ASAP you might save yourself a lot of more serious stuff.....believe it or not...infection in a samll cut can kill you.....and epsom salts and Bacitracin aren't going to help a lot at this stage.
Linda C

o

Friend of mine lost his finger with home doctoring.It's time to see a professional.

o

Went to the Dr. and she drained it and put me on antibiotics. Thanks for caring. Have a nice evening.

o

Thanks for the update - so many times we never hear "the end of the story". Hope it's completely healed soon :)

o

Glad to know you're on the mend....Eliza ann

o

Simple things like that should never be put off. An actor in the series Angel died of an abscessed tooth. He didn't die right away but the abscess cause a heart problem, a valve if I remember right and he died a year or two later. For anyone interested it was the green actor who let customers sing in his club. He could read their minds when they sang

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here