Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone been diagnosed with CAD?

Posted by mistopheles52 (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 13, 09 at 8:47

Hello. In the spring of 2008, I noticed when walking that I would get a mild pain in my chest and weakness in my left arm. This past summer I went to my doctor and he said it sounded like I was experiencing angina and scheduled an appointment to see a cardiologist. The cardiologist scheduled me for the treadmill, an EKG, and also have bloodwork done for my thyroid. Turned out I do have angina and an underactive thyroid. Since that time have been to have angioplasty done and they have discovered two small arteries in my heart are blocked but didn't feel the need for me to have a stent. I am now on Lipitor for cholesterol, Ramipril for blood pressure and Synthroid for my thyroid. It is now going on five months since I started taking these medications but I am finding that my chest is still getting some pain and am still experiencing angina and I 'windout' easily. You'd think after taking these meds that some relief would be there but in all honesty, I don't see much. I have spoken to the doctor about this and he says there is nothing else to do. I am thinking of getting a second opinion on this as I am only 55 and am finding this is restricting me. I can't go for a walk at normal pace and walk slowly just to compensate for the pain which I know will happen. I've also noticed that breathing is difficult in cold weather. Has anyone been through this before?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone been diagnosed with CAD?

Hi mistopheles,
Its time for a new Cardiologist.
Do you take nitro, and does it help?

o

catherinet - Yes, I forgot to say that when the prescriptions were given to me, one of them was nitro and this was only to be used if the pain became more than tolerable. If that is the case, I'd be taking a spray under my tongue every time I walk 100 feet (and that's not good, is it?) Should I be expecting that this is what to expect all the time?

o

I'm going through the same thing now, taking the same type medication. Have only had stress test and EKG which showed nothing. In six months time I can't garden or walk up any incline without breathlessness and pain. I feel like you, from being a very active person to what I've become the past couple months is very depressing. I've only been on the meds for a couple weeks, go back in a couple more.
Do you have a family history of heart disease? I hope you can find someone to offer hope and improvement with your condition.
Cooper

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here