Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
magnesium chloride

Posted by ivamae (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 16, 07 at 8:07

Has anyone ever taken this in capsule form, in dosages of 150mg up to 900 mgs daily after evening meal to soften stools and peven constipation? It is supposed to be taken along with vitmin B6. I have a severe cystocele and rectocele and hard stools need to be avoided. I have allergies to salicylate and this does not make it any easier to find something safe for me that works. Any opinions?
ivamae

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: magnesium chloride

Haven't heard about this to soften stool, sounds more like a stimulant. Have you tried prunes? Seriously, they do work. also there is an over the counter drug called docusate that is a stool softener and it can be given to aspirin-allergics.

o

I have not heard of that remedy either, but I am willing to try just about anything. I too have had huge problems with a cystocele and rectocele. In fact I had major surgery 5 years ago to correct the problem and again a year ago when the rectocele repair failed. Today, I am still having problems. Constipation is a constant battle. I have tried all the remedys with little real success. The action or non action of my bowles seems to control my life. The feeling of pressure in the rectal area is almost constant, but the urge to go doesn't come with it.

The one thing that has helped a good bit is coffee! At my last check up, my surgeon asked if I drink coffee. Well, no I really don't like coffee or anything hot especially in the morning I told her. She said I should try drinking a cup of good old coffee (with caffine) first thing in the morning. It would provide a little stimulation for my bowels to work. Yeah, right I thought. But I tried it, and it really does help. As soon as I get up, I make myself a cup, and sit down here at the computer and most days, within an hour I get the urge to go. If I can get my bowles to move first thing in the morning, then I am free of that pressure feeling most of the day. I do take senna ,a natural stimulant laxative (Sennakot is a brand name) once or twice a month if I seem to be getting backed up. There is a senna herbal tea also, but I found it to be really harsh. Sometimes, I resort to suppositories, but for 3 months now the coffee in the morning routine has been quite helpful on it's own.

I sympathize greatly with you, and hope you find something that works for you.

o

Thanks for your great replies. I did check at the health food store and they said that it was a good stool softener. I read that it was important that it was capsules, not tablets. When I mentioned that I do have some kidney problems and also am on thyroid meds they told me I should run it by my Doctor first. I think that is a good idea. I am 76 years old. I had very, very major repair in 1972. The surgeon said it was the most he had every done in one surgery. Ten year later the cystocele started returning until now it is huge. It is aggrevated also by the firm stools as is the rectocele. Because of the extent of the previous surgery the same surgeon does not feel I am a candidate for successful surgery now.

I am not a coffee drinker as I really don't like it but maybe I could learn. Someone else told me to try wine but I'm not a wine liker either.

thanks again
ivamae

o

ivamae, I too had been a non coffee drinker up till now. Husband always would say "as soon as I drink this coffee I am gonna need the bathroom so stay clear" and try to get me to drink it. But I really didn't like coffee. After my doc brought it up, I tried some General Mills International coffee. I have learned to like it enough for that morning cup. That is the only time I drink it.

The wine wouldn't appeal to me either. If I am going to drink something, I much prefer water.

I will do some checking on the magnesium chloride.

o

gazania, I sent you an email through your page. I hope you got it all right
ivamae

o

ivamae, I did not get email from you. I sent one to you....but I have been reading that the garden web mail has not been working.

o

Gazania, I'm sorry you did not get my email. This is one web site that I found interesting. I did order the book.

Here is a link that might be useful: Information

o
RE: magnesium chloride//

Gazania, I did get your email

o

ivamae, still didn't get your email to me. I checked my spam folder, etc to make sure it didn't get sidetracked somewhere. When you got my mail, did it show my address...if so you may email me direct. On second thought, I will email you again from Garden web.

o

I did send you another email, Gazania, just now, through what I think must be your own email address.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here