SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
yellowhair_gw

Home remedies... can be good.

yellowhair
20 years ago

Hi everybody,

I guess you've heard all of these, but thought I'd repeat a few---just in case.

Cranberry juice---helps flush kidneys

Yogurt----prevents yeast infection (in women)

Ear Ache---blow some of the hot air from a hair dryer in ears to get rid of earache (I haven't actually tried this one)

Onions---eating these will help you live longer

Carrots----helps your eyes

Headache---massage the area between thumb and index finger or use a cold compress on the head area-------or raise the arms up and down 5-10 times

To prevent cavities and those pesky dental bills----a dentist told me that if you can't brush your teeth during the day----just use water and rinse real well---this flushes out and breaks up the bacteria in the mouth

To prevent viruses---I just saw this a few days ago----a Dr. says to rub your hands back and forth, create friction, and this will kill bacteria on the hands.

Anybody else got some?

Comments (9)

• lazy_gardens
    20 years ago

Where did you get these bits of misinformaton? They are useless to dangerous.
    *Cranberry juice---helps flush kidneys
    WRONG! It does help with minor bladder infections because it changes the pH of the urine.

*Yogurt----prevents yeast infection (in women)
    As a DOUCHE, it can help get rid of yeast-caused vaginitis. If eaten, it does nothing for it.

*Ear Ache---blow some of the hot air from a hair dryer in ears to get rid of earache (I haven't actually tried this one)
    Any warmth will help the symptoms ... doesn't cure anything.

*Onions---eating these will help you live longer
    Not proven ... any vegetables help.

*Carrots----helps your eyes
    IF and ONLY if you are vitamin A deficient. Otherwise do nothing.

*Headache---massage the area between thumb and index finger or use a cold compress on the head area-------or raise the arms up and down 5-10 times.
    Huh? Aspirin works wonders. The arm-pumping might work on a tension headache by relaxing the shoulders.

*To prevent cavities and those pesky dental bills----a dentist told me that if you can't brush your teeth during the day----just use water and rinse real well---this flushes out and breaks up the bacteria in the mouth
    Rinsing is betther than nothing, but toting a toothbrush and toothpaste is best.

*To prevent viruses---I just saw this a few days ago----a Dr. says to rub your hands back and forth, create friction, and this will kill bacteria on the hands.
    Utter hogwash! Any friction strong enough to kill bacteria would also kill the skin cells on the hands. What "doctor" was recommending this>

Anybody else got some?

• yellowhair
    Original Author
    20 years ago

I haven't had a yeast infection since I started EATING yogurt. The Dr. that recommended rubbing your hands together to create friction, therefore killing virus germs, was on Fox news network just a few weeks ago when they were questioning him about how to keep from getting the horrible viruses that are going around.

The newscaster told him that a lot of people carry around some sort of lotion or wipes for the hands----the Dr. says that a lot of them have alocohol that, over a period of time and uses, dries out the hands, will most likely dry the skin and allow the germs to enter the body more easily. He said rubbing the hands would kill the germs.

PS On using the blow dryer for an ear ache----the dryer should be held at least 6-12 in. away from the ear---on a medium temperature.

• tnlady
    20 years ago

Lindac,

I agree that many of the suggestions posted by Yellowhair have an immense amount of support both through sound medical research and strong anecdotal evidence. And totally agree it would take WAY to long to "teach" someone here what would require days of intensive study!!

The skeptical can get confirmation on the yogurt and onions from the link. Mind you, that's ONE of thousands of sources on these topics.

Nature and God provide!!

TNLady

Here is a link that might be useful: BBC article on Probiotic bacteria

• joann23456
    20 years ago

The BBC article said nothing at all about yeast infections. It talked about foods useful to promote the production of good bacteria in your stomach. Yogurt with live cultures and onions are two of the foods.

The article also said that it was doubtful if much or any of the effect reached the bowels or colon, as the stomach acid kills the good bacteria, so I would doubt that it would reach any other parts nearby.

There is some anecdotal evidence that eating yogurt prevents yeast infections, though there is solid evidence that keeping the area dry, bathing, wearing cotton underwear, and allowing air to reach it - as in sleeping without underwear - will prevent yeast infections.

• yellowhair
    Original Author
    20 years ago

It just seems to me that if the stomach acid breaks down the good bacteria, Joann23456, it would also break down all of the other useful things that people take----aspirin, all medications, etc.-----and the benefits would be lost. Yet, we know that medications DO help people and THEY LEAVE THE STOMACH. Doctors don't know it all-------they never have------they cannot tell you WHY certain bodily functions happen---just that they do. Only GOD knows the WHY.

Here's another tip that may or may not help someone-----my DH has a terrible time with acid reflux & heartburn, etc. I read on another forum that a mixture of skim milk, tofu, and something else (sorry) might help.

Well, after mentioning it to him (I didn't mention the tofu--lol) he actually drank some regular milk that night---didn't have his usual problem with his stomach!!!!!!

He's been drinking milk now, especially when he eats spicy stuff----and it has greatly helped his problem. I notice he hasn't been eating as many of the antacids. So...

Breast cancer and deodorants--------has anyone been keeping up with this???? Several years ago a co-worker told me that she did not use regular deodorants because they've been linked to breast cancer.

So, I used the "all natural" deodorants from my local Wal-mart for a while, then eventually went back to my other ones. Now------fast forward----a few DAYS ago a researcher has come out to say that he's found a link between breast cancer and deodorant.

Some people use baking soda, there's other natural products on the market.

PS Deodorant has aluminum in it. Hasn't this been linked with Alzheimers????

• celestial
    17 years ago

I'm a firm believer in acupuncture and acupressure after I had it done to my dog for treatment of a severe injury (he doesn't fake wellness.)

Anyone have any "feel better" remedies for novovirus (or stomach flu/ache) ? I've read that there is no treatment, but perhaps there's a way to help someone suffer a bit less?

-Celeste

• devorah
    17 years ago

My doctor and my pharmacist told me to eat live culture yogurt after a course of antibiotics

My doctor told me to use the hair dryer on my earache because it would dry up the water the bacteria were living in.

My dentist told me to rinse after every meal because that was the first line of defense.

I wonder about the hand rubbing thing though. There was a study that showed that people left public bathrooms with more bacteria on their hands if they used the hot air system to dry hands because bacteria thrive in hot moist conditions. Paper towels were much better

• marylmi
    17 years ago

Yellowhair,

I use a natural deodorant that I got at the vitamin store. After reading what you said about aluminum and Alzheimers, I just now checked mine and it has Natural Mineral Salts and Ammonium Alum. Those are the only two ingredients but I am going to try and look up Ammonium Alum. to see what that is...I may have to stop using it!

Sponsored