Return to the Health Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wide space between first and second toes

Posted by Jenn (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 05 at 0:07

My nephew is 4 years old. On the day he was born, I noticed a gap between his first and second toes. Maybe it's completely normal but I noticed it. Today I was reading about a congenital abnormality that includes a wide gap between the first and second toes. A picture showed a much wider gap than my nephew's. I did a Google search on "sandle gap" and it seems to be a symptom of a variety of abnormalities.

My nephew seems healthy and normal in every way. He is learning and developing at a normal rate (or better) and shows no signs of any problems. He's very physically agile, loves books, and everything else good in a child his age. He does have one foot that is slightly turned in and causes him to trip sometimes when barefoot but he wears an orthotic in his shoe to correct that. Otherwise, no other problems. Even so, my worrying mind has me wondering about that gap between his toes. (Dang this internet -- too much information!!) It's not very wide, just wider than the gap between the other toes.

Has anyone noticed a wide gap between these toes in healthy people? I've never noticed it before.

Jen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wide space between first and second toes

Jen -
Next time you are at the beach or in a locker room, start looking at feet. One of mine has a wider gap between the first toes than the other.

True "sandle gap toes" are usually accompanied by a host of serious skeletal deformities and other problems.

o

Thank you. I can put that worry to rest now. :-)

o

I have a daughter-in-law that has a gap between her first and second toes, and she is perfectly healthy. I guess it is just one of those things that happen from time to time. Vique.

o

Jenn- don't you have enough on your plate as it is?

that's it- no internet for you for at least a week!

I was born with your nephew's feet- and, in the style of age of surgery and braces, they 'fixed' them.

they also caused me a lifetime of ankle injuries, shinsplints, and expressions of disbelief when a series of podiatrists looked at the xrays of my feet.

o

chinacat -- LOL.

I've concluded he is perfectly normal. :-) I've seen photos in catalogs of shoe models and some of them have a gap too. There's nothing wrong with this kid.... he's smart, strong, fun, funny, agile, sweet, .... :-)

Thanks,
Jen

o

the gap is normal in a foot that hasn't beencompressed into american footwear. we all would look like that if we went thru life barefoot or in sandals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Health Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here