Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
christmas card help

Posted by tiad57 (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 14, 06 at 22:39

My brother lost his wife of 18years 2 weeks ago to a car accident. My family was also very close to her I am finding it very difficult to write christmas cards as it is suppose to be a happy time of year but how can one be happy when this happens. I have not a clue what to write as I want to wish them a merry christmas and also let them know I also miss her and it is a sad time. Is there a website that has any sort of sayings that could help or could anyone of you offer some advice.
Thank you for any help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: christmas card help

Tiad, I am sorry for you loss. It makes the Christmas season so difficult. Try this Hallmark site for something appropriate.

http://www.hallmark.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/article%7C10001%7C10051%7C/HallmarkSite/Ideas/Occasions/SympathyAndSupport/SYMPATHY_QUOTES

o

I'd take it on a card-by-card basis; some people should be told now, others you could probably tell later.

For certain people whom you are close to, you could just make a little "small talk," then share with them the fact that your dear sister-in-law passed away, "so it will be a sad Christmas, but we are also keeping the good memories close at heart. Very best wishes to you and yours for a wonderful holiday and good year ahead."

You have probably done the cards already, and I bet this is what you did.

So sorry for this tragic loss in your family. I know your SIL will be missed terribly this holiday season. Take care.

o

don't know about anyone else but i'm be hurt if someone passed and didn't know...

i had to send out that card last year to all my mother's friends...

o

Our boy and granddaughter were killed in the summer, and I made cards on the computer that read: "(Our names) regret to inform you of the untimely deaths of our son (name) and granddaughter (name), June 17, 2003 in City, State." I sent them that summer to everyone out of town on our Christmas list so that they'd find out without my having to call or write the sad news over and over again. I got many very kind notes and phone calls and most people seemed appreciative of my notifying them. That Christmas, we sent out cards and just signed our names. We still do that. We've had good news to share since then, new grandbabies most importantly, but I can't write a cheery letter and leave out 2 very cherished people who are no longer with us and whose absence we feel so deeply, especially at the holidays.

o

Dear Tiad,
In June 2005, my 18 yr. old daughter & her boyfriend were killed in an auto accident. Last Christmas I couldn't muster the strength to send cards. This year I did get them out. This is what I did. I printed out a poem in memory of Erica, and her birth & death dates. I put stickers of things she loved on them, put them in with the card, then hand wrote an apology of why everyone didn't get cards last year. For those who want to know more, I figure they'll write or call. Do what you feel up to, and don't sweat the small stuff. Life is too short to worry about the little things. Let us know how you're doing.
Emma in SC

o

I'm just now able seeing this. I hope you were able to find the words to write on your Christmas cards.
Lu

o

Thanks for your help everyone. Through tears and a huge lump in my throat I managed to write that card.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here