Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Putting my dog down on Tuesday

Posted by Laneym (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 4, 04 at 18:59

After a short battle with cancer, hemangiosarcoma to be exact, my husband and I are putting our dog, Bo, down on Tuesday. The tumor, which was removed only 3 weeks ago, has grown back and is starting to bleed from the old stitches site. I have been terribly upset all day. I know everyone here has lost a human, but none the less, it hurts so bad. He is the "favorite" of my 2 dogs. I rescued him after he was thrown out ot a truck in someone's yard. Drove over 4 hours (which was only half way) to get him. That was 4 1/2 years ago. I know he was an old hunting dog, and I know we have given him the best years of his life, but still I am sad. Just wanted to express my feelings, I haven't been able to stop crying all day. SOmetimes I think the anticipation is worse than the actual "putting to sleep". I know how bad this hurts, I can't even imagine if it was one of my children, my husband or my parents. Thanks for listening.

Laney

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Putting my dog down on Tuesday

Laney
*HUGS*
Knowing you are doing the right thing and making the decision to make sure Bo doesn't suffer any more doesn't make it any easier. We had to put down our 14 year old Terrier cross just five days after my Dad had died - she had a stroke and although the vet could have saved her she would never walk again and would be in pain - she was already on medication for arthritis and some days seemed hard for her so we regretfully said goodbye and it hurt a lot. And yes the loss is as traumatic as it is to lose a human, we make these animals part of our families and love them dearly.

Nothing I say can ease the pain you feel but this is the last act of kindness you can give Bo and it's an act of great love. My thoughts are with you.
Sue.

o

Relish these days while you can still pamper and pet your dear doggie. You gave him a wonderful life; he's very lucky to have become your dog. We lost our Sheltie two years ago.

o

We had a dog named Bo, once. He was like family and we missed him terribly when he had to put down.
My husband couldn't bear to take him; he went to the vet's and paid the bill and then our son took the dog.

Excerpts from Jimmy Stewart's poem "Beau."
as recited during a 1981 appearance on "The Tonight Show" with Johnny Carson.

He never came to me when I would call
Unless I had a tennis ball,
Or he felt like it.
But mostly he didn't come at all."
He would charge up the street with Mom hanging on.
What a beautiful pair they were!
And if it was still light and the tourists were out,
They created a bit of a stir."
And now he's dead.
And there are nights when I think I feel him
Climb upon our bed and lie between us,
And I pat his head.
And there are nights when I think
I feel that stare
And I reach out my hand to stroke his hair.
But he's not there.
Oh, how I wish that wasn't so.
I'll always love a dog named Beau.

o

We also had a family dog named, "Bo".
I'm so sorry that you have to put your Bo to sleep. I'm sorry for your pain. Bo was so fortunate to have you has his owner. If it hadn't been for you, he may not have lived these last four years.
He will always be in your heart, just as our loved ones always will be.
Lu

o

Thank you all for your kind words. It really does help to know there are caring people here. I keep telling myself, that as Lu said, he probably would not have survived this long if not for us. He has had numerous health problems in the last 1 1/2 years - another small tumor removed from his penis, several teeth removed and his left eye removed in June. Yes, he is really a pitiful site now. I just remember how beautiful a dog he was before. And how beautiful a dog he is inside!! He is truely the sweetest dog I have ever owned. After being worked so hard for years, by the time we got him, all he really wanted was a warm bed, food and an abundance of chewies. He never like toys or balls or really running around with our other dog. I think he just wanted love. He sure got that with us. He will be missed. I am spoiling him in his last couple of days - no more hard dog food. Right now I have a crock pot of round steak cooking for his meals tomorrow!

o

You have my sympathy. I've been close to animals my whole life, and losing one never gets easier. This past year was a hard one for my pets and those who love them. Several cats died of old age, and on July 4 we lost our sweet 14-year-old collie shepherd, Caroline. In the spring our youngest dog was attacked by a wild animal, apparently a bear, and fatally injured. The thread about little Turpie is linked below.

What has helped me most is exactly what you said: We give them so many more years of life than they would otherwise have had. All my pets were either adopted from shelters or, like your dog, found. Your love has been everything to him, and that won't go away.

Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: Turpie

o

Laney -
You are doing the last, hardest, part of taking care of an animal ... making sure they don't suffer. It means taking the emotional pain onto yourself to spare them the physical pain.

It's never easy, so go ahead and cry all you want.

o

I lost my Cinnamon to hemangiosarcoma; I know what its like and I feel for you to the depths of my heart.

You have done everything else you could, now you do the hardest, most painful, most loving thing of all.

Peace.

o

Laneym, I hope everything went smoothly for you yesterday. Here's a poem I ran across which you might like. It's message is heartfelt and true.

Best wishes....

o

Here's the poem link.....

Here is a link that might be useful: House Dog's Grave

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here