SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
secsteve

Baking brings back the memories

secsteve
19 years ago

I lost my dear mother 6 years ago. The first two Christmas were absolutely lousy. I just couldn't get any enthusiasm for anything except baking. I have a tradition of baking cookies for the guards at the base(s), the police and the firemen which I started before mom died.

The last two years, I found two of her receipes that were her favorites and tried them out this year. It brought back a lot of memories of those days when I would help her bake and we'd deliver goodies to the neighbors. One of them was a big hit with the neighbors and I had completely forgotten about it till I dug our her old worn book. It's compiled of receipes that she had cut out of magazines and either tried or was going to try. This particular receipe was for cake in orange cups which I remembered her making, so tried it out. I didn't realize how much work it was, but well worth it. The memory of her boiling the orange shells, candying them and then baking the cake in them really hit home once I started doing the receipe. I swear at that moment I could feel her there guiding me along as I worked my bottom off making those durn things!

Just wanted to share that with you folks.

Comments (2)

Sponsored