Return to the Grieving Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i'm a new member

Posted by randyinpa (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 9, 08 at 1:21

December 1st, and I'm in the ER cause my brother in law found mom propping herself against some pocket doors. An hour later, the doctor advises my sister and me to gather the rest of the family, including 88 year old dad. She died an hour later. She was 83. It was a totally unexpected event. She was occluded. Never went to the doctor. This hit the family of five children like a train. And dad did not fare to well. I spent the week with him in the huge house. I had to call 911 the morning of the funeral.He missed his wife's funeral. He is still in the hospital. He agrees that personal care is next in his life. I would like to get him into the vet center in
Scranton. Any advice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i'm a new member

Randy,
I am sorry for your recent loss. When my dad passed away five years ago, I found myself in a similar situation. My only sibling passed away eleven years earlier and I never had the chance to grieve, but instead I had to take care of my mom.

Can you or your siblings care for your dad for a little while? I am only suggesting this because the situation is still so fresh and raw. It may help to have a little time pass before you guys make such a big decision. You really want to find the right kind of care and that may take some time. After four years (and I am not suggesting you take your father that long by any means) of caring for my mom, I needed help. A social worker suggested for me to try a "BOARD AND CARE FACILITY". I live in California, so I'm not sure about Pennsylvania, but these facilities are located in a single family dwelling, in regular neighborhoods. If you go to the Care Giver forum on Gardenweb, I posted a thread a couple of months ago that gave an address for a publication that lists different levels of care for senior facilities. Again, sorry for you loss.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Grieving Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here